Brown-coal sentence example
- They are also preserved in basins on the western plateau, as shown by brown coal deposits passed through in the Lake Phillipson bore.
- In this valley were laid down, either in Eocene or Oligocene times, a great series of lake beds and thick accumulations of brown coal.
- Germany, and containing brown coal and amber, has been met with only in Poland, Courland and Lithuania.
- In the Tertiary region are found small quantities of iron ore and an indifferent brown coal.
- This is a wooded chain of mountains, with many branches, rich in brown coal and culminating in the GÃ¶blberg (2950 ft.).Advertisement
- Lignite or brown coal includes all varieties which are intermediate in properties between wood and coals of the older.
- Poetsch in 1883, and originally applied to shafts passing through quicksands above brown coal seams, has been applied with advantage in opening new pits through the secondary and tertiary strata above the coal measures in the north of France and Belgium, some of the most successful examples being those at Lens, Anzin and Vicq, in the north of France basin.
- It is abundant, for example, in the plastic clay of the Brown Coal formation at Littmitz, near Carlsbad, in Bohemia, at which place it has been extensively mined for the manufacture of sulphur and ferrous sulphate.
- Basalts and Tertiary brown coal deposits enter into the composition of the southern extremity of Bennett Island, and the mountains of Sannikov Land, seen by Toll, have the aspect of basaltic "table mountains."
- The coalmines of the country are capable of producing some 15 million tons of black coal and 24 millions of brown coal (lignite).Advertisement
- Sometimes it contains thick seams of lignite or brown coal.
- In the south-western parts a succession of strata, described as the Brown Coal or Lignite formations, intervenes between the chalk and the boulder clay; its name is derived from the deposits of lignite which occur in it.
- In later years he gave special attention to the Tertiary strata, including the Brown Coal of North Germany.
- Petroleum, salt, lignite and brown coal are largely worked.
- There is trade in silk, honey and wax, and brown coal is found in the neighbourhood.Advertisement
- The brown coal region extends from Oschersleben by Kalbe to Weissenfels; it is also found in the neighbourhood of Aschersleben, Bitterfeld and Wittenberg.
- This is a wooded chain of mountains, with many branches, rich in brown coal and culminating in the GÃƒ¶blberg (2950 ft.).