This is merely a recension of a work which was composed about 679 by a Briton of Strathclyde.
An American vessel, the "Topaze," discovered the strange colony in 1808; again, by accident, it was visited by the "Briton," Captain Sir F.
It appears in several variant forms (brytenwalda, bretenanwealda, &c.), and means most probably "lord of the Britons" or "lord of Britain"; for although the derivation of the word is uncertain, its earlier syllable seems to be cognate with the words Briton and Britannia.
(on the succession of kings and emperors in the great monarchies of the world) and to "Warinus, a Briton" (on the early British kings, after Geoffrey of Monmouth).
But they were essentially antipathetic persons; and it is clear that the great minister and complete Briton took no pains to understand the dazzling young Jew of whom Lyndhurst thought so much, and wished to have little to do with him.
In 1844 the troop-ships "Briton" and "Runnymede" were driven ashore here, almost close together.
Practically every Briton of military age in the country was enrolled in the Nyasaland Volunteer Reserve.
Cowbridge (Pontyfon) and Ludchurch (Eglwys Llwyd), others are of direct external origin, as Bishopstone, Flemingstone, Butter Hill, Briton Ferry, Manselfield, &c. Names derived straight from an Anglo-Norman source are rare; Beaupre, Beaumaris, Beaufort, Fleur-de-Lis, Roche, may be cited as examples of such.
ST KENTIGERN, or Mungo ("dear friend," a name given to him, according to Jocelyn, by St Servanus), a Briton of Strathclyde, called by the Goidels In Glaschu, " the Grey Hound," was, according to the legends preserved in the lives which remain, of royal descent.
ST NINIAN, a Briton, probably from Strathclyde, who was trained at Rome and founded a church at Whithorn on the west side of Wigtown Bay.
The harbour docks and adjacent railways (which exceed 20 m.) are owned and administered by a harbour trust of 26 members, of whom one is the owner of the Briton Ferry estate (Earl Jersey), 4 represent the lord of the seigniory of Gower (the duke of Beaufort), 12 are proprietary members and 9 are elected annually by the corporation of Swansea.
Its status was only that of a "creek" in the port of Cardiff till 1685, when it was made an independent port with jurisdiction over Newton (now Porthcawl), Neath or Briton Ferry and South Burry, its limits being defined in 1847 as extending from Nash Point on the east to Whitford Point on the west, but in 1904 Port Talbot, which was included in this area, was made into a separate port.