Breech-loading sentence example
- It has suffered considerably in modern times from the competition of other towns in this industry, especially since the introduction of the breech-loading rifle.
- The number of field battalions was nearly doubled, two-thirds of the artillery received breech-loading rifled guns, the infantry had for some years had the breech-loading "needlegun," and steps were initiated to train an adequate number of staff officers to a uniform appreciation of strategical problems, based on Moltke's personal interpretation of Clausewitz's Vom Kriege.
- Both overlooked the changes brought by the introduction of the longrange rifle (muzzleand breech-loading alike), which had rendered impossible the "case shot preparation" which had formed the basis of Napoleon's tactical system.
- Lastly, to allow for the superior centering of the shot obtainable with the breech-loading system, Bashforth introduces a factor a, called the coefficient of steadiness.
- One of his last essays dealt with the war of 1866 and the influence of the breech-loading rifle, and he died at Passy on the 24th of March 1869 only a year before the Franco-German War.Advertisement
- breech-loading rifle.
- breech-loading cannon with its timber bed, dating from the late 15th century.
- At the turn of the century the harbor defenses at Cork were being rebuilt to take breech loading artillery.