Body politic sentence example
- In the same city in which the administrative functions of the body politic are centralized there stifi exists the court of the spiritual potentate which in 1879 consisted of 1821 persons.
- "In judgment of law the king, as king, cannot be said to be a minor, for when the royal body politic of the king doth meet with the natural capacity in one person the whole body shall have the quality of the royal politic, which is the greater and more worthy and wherein is no minority.
- In a work of 1610, the sequel to his Divine Beginning and Institution of Christ's true Visible and Ministerial Church, Jacob describes " an entire and independent 3 body-politic," " endued with power immediately under and from Christ, as every proper church is and ought to be."
- The employment of barbarians as foederati, which became a common practice with the emperors in the 4th century, was both a symptom of disease in the body politic of the empire and a hastener of its impending ruin.
- It is rather due to an overpowering sense of the value of organization - a sense that liberty can never be dissevered from order, that a vital interconnexion between all the parts of the body politic is the source of all good, so that while he can find nothing but brute weight in an organized public, he can compare the royal person in his ideal form of constitutional monarchy to the dot upon the letter i.Advertisement
- The wonderful achievements of the Irish monks did not affect the body politic as a whole,.
- The unit of local government in South Carolina is the county, which, the state constitution provides, " shall be a body politic and corporate."
- Counties are divided into townships and under the constitution each " shall constitute a body politic and corporate," but in 1910 there were no separate township govern-' ments, the existing division of counties into townships being for the purpose of convenience in adjusting taxes.
- Indeed, it is drawing its strength from the long list of health panics that have infected the body politic in recent years.
- Tribal patriotism is a powerful vaccine that immunizes the body politic against self-criticism.Advertisement
- The body politic consisted, after as before, of the king and the whole mass of Magyar freemen or nobles, descendants of Arpad's warriors, theoretically all equal in spite of growing inequalities of wealth and power, who constituted the populus; privileges were granted by the king to foreign immigrants in the cities, and the rights of nobility were granted to non-Magyars for special services; but, in general, the non-Magyars were ruled by the royal governors as subject races, forming - in contradistinction to the " nobles "- the mass of the peasants, the misera con/ribuens plebs upon whom until 1848 nearly the whole burden of taxation fell.
- He sacrificed everything to it; but he ennobled it by the genius and audacity of his conceptions, by the energetic tension of all the muscles of the body politic.
- Whilst Gustavus Vasa had leaned upon the Swedish peasantry, in other words upon the bulk of the Swedish nation, which was and continued to be an integral part of the Swedish body-politic, Christian III.