Bell-tower Sentence Examples
This last is a handsome building, opened in 1873, surmounted by a bell tower.
Thirteen churches, including the Troitskiy (Trinity) and Uspenskiy cathedrals, a bell-tower, a theological academy, various buildings for monks and pilgrims, and a hospital stand within the precincts, which are two-thirds of a mile in circuit.
The graceful bell-tower, erected in 1224-1319, named La Ghirlandina from the bronze garland surrounding the weathercock, is 335 ft.
Among the notable buildings are the weigh-house (17th century), the bell-tower (1591), formerly attached to the town-hall before this was destroyed in the 18th century, and the church of St.
In the southern part of the monastery is the church of Sergius, beneath which are spacious rooms where 200,000 dinners are distributed gratis every year to the pilgrims. The bell-tower, 320 ft.Advertisement
It possesses a wonderworking ikon or image of the " Death of the Virgin," said to have been brought from Constantinople in 1073, and the second highest bell-tower in Russia.
On the Schlossberg, which can be ascended by a cable tramway, beautiful parks have been laid out, and on its top is the bell-tower, 60 ft.
The church of St Olai, first erected in 1240, and often rebuilt, was completed in 1840 in Gothic style; it has a bell tower 456 ft.
Among the churches mention must be made of the Zuiderkerk, or South church, with a conspicuous tower (1450-1525); and the Westerkerk, or West church, which possesses a beautifully carved Renaissance screen and pulpit of the middle of the 16th century, and a quaint wooden bell-house (1519) built for use before the completion of the bell-tower.
Other noteworthy objects in the castle are the fountain in the courtyard, decorated with four granite columns from Charlemagne's palace at Ingelheim; the Elisabethentor, a beautiful gateway named after the English princess; the beautiful octagonal bell-tower at the N.E.Advertisement
The town was settled in 1774, and the old church and bell tower are still standing.
It is the only church in Palermo with a bell-tower, itself crowned with a cupola.
The churchyard, however, is entered by a Norman gateway, and there survives also a magnificent isolated bell-tower dating from 1533, of the best ornate Perpendicular workmanship. The abbey walls surround the churchyard, but almost the only other remnant is a single Decorated arch.
Close to the bell-tower, however, are the two parish churches of St Lawrence and of All Saints, the former of the 16th century, the latter containing Early English work, and the ornate chapel of Abbot Lichfield, who erected the belltower.
A small north-western bell tower is connected to the aisle, and the raised porch is supported on six columns.Advertisement
Next to the church stands a tall bell tower in the Italian style.
A third tall narrow brick bell tower (with bell still in place) rises behind the school entrance.
References Notices of the old clochard or bell-tower of the Palace at Westminster, communicated by the Rev. Joseph Hunter (1858 ).
However, the Bell tower of the old church escaped destruction.
To replace the old bell turret an new bell tower was erected.Advertisement