Bear-down sentence example
- A pair of old wooden hulks bear down upon a defenseless slug!
- The emperor decided to bear down Blucher's centre and right with the corps of Vandamme and Gerard and with Girard's division which he had drawn into his operations, containing the Prussian left meanwhile with the squadrons of Pajol and Exelmans, assisted by a few infantry.
- When he had already achieved some important successes over Jugurtha (q.v.), in 107 he was elected consul for the first time (an almost unheard-of honour for a "new man"), his popularity with the army and people being sufficient to bear down all opposition.
- It may be harder for a woman to bear down when it comes time to push, although the amount of anesthesia can be adjusted as this stage nears.
- While Tsountas, for the Greek Archaeological Society, picked up his work at Mycenae in 1886, and gradually cleared the Acropolis, with notable results, Schliemann tried for traces of the Caesareum at Alexandria, of the Palace of Minos at Knossos, in Crete, and of the Aphrodite temple at Cythera (1888); but he was not successful, meeting in the two former enterprises with a local opposition which his wealth was unable to bear down.Advertisement
- Constipation: Constipation for a few weeks after having a c-section is common because you may be afraid to bear down during a bowel movement due to the pain.