Bayous sentence example
- There are a number of swamps and bayous in the eastern part.
- Oxbow lakes and bayous are common only in the Delta.
- There are many " bayous," several of which are of great importance, both for navigation and for drainage.
- Some of the levees, especially those in swampy regions where outlet bayous are closed, are of extraordinary solidity and dimensions, being 20 to 40 ft.
- Almost all secondary water-courses, particularly if they have sluggish currents, are known as bayous.Advertisement
- In each direction the country falls away in a succession of minor undulations, the summits of the ridges being occupied by the streams and bayous.
- Flowering annuals are mainly aquatic. Water lilies, water hyacinths, which are an obstruction in many streams, and irises in rich variety give colour to the coast wastes and sombre bayous.
- The alluvial portion of the state, especially below the mouth of the Red river, is an intricate network of these bayous, which, before their closure by a levee system, served partially, in time of flood, to carry off the escaping surplus of river waters.
- The wet climate and bayous produce plentiful crops of rice; you'd be hard pressed to find a Cajun meal that does not include it.
- The opening lyrics invite viewers into the atmosphere of the sultry Louisiana bayous that provide the backdrop for True Blood's steamy storytelling.Advertisement
- Slight ridges along the streams and bayous which traverse it, and occasional patches of slightly elevated prairie, relieve in a measure the monotonous expanse.
- Reclaimed marsh-land and fresh alluvium (the so-called " front-lands " on rivers and bayous) are choice soil for Indian corn, sugar-cane, perique tobacco, semi-tropical fruits and cotton.
- The problem of inland waterways has always been a most important one in northern, eastern and southern Louisiana, where there are systems of improved bayous, lakes and canals which, with the levees, make this region something like Holland, on a greater scale.
- Many bayous are convertible by improvement into excellent drainage and irrigation canals.
- In the operations for the capture of Vicksburg in 1863 unsuccessful attempts were made in February and March by Porter's vessels to penetrate through connecting streams and bayous to the Yazoo river and reach the right rear of the Confederate defences on the bluffs.Advertisement
- The flood plain during its formation is marked by meandering, or anastomosing streams, ox-bow lakes and bayous, marshes or stagnant pools, and is occasionally completely covered with water.
- Immediately west of the Guayas river the Estero Salado, which comprises a great many shallow tide-water channels, or bayous, penetrates as far inland as Guayaquil, but is used only by canoes.