Battleground sentence example
- This attack was to have, beside its own field artillery, the support of fifty-four heavy guns, and the Russian left wing on the Balaklava battleground was to keep Bosquet occupied.
- "Planted like a bridge between Asia and Europe," it has been from the earliest period a battleground between the East and the West.
- Her ancient prestige, her geographical position and the intellectual primacy of her most noble children rendered Italy the battleground of principles that set all Christendom in motion, and by the clash of which she found herself for ever afterwards divided.
- The French still claimed all territory east of the Penobscot, and not only was Maine an exposed frontier and battleground during the long struggle of the English against the Indians and the French, but its citizens bore a conspicuous part in the expeditions beyond its borders.
- Part of this ridge, called Home Ridge and culminating in a knoll, was occupied by the British, while farther to the south, facing the battleground of Balaklava, a corps under General Bosquet was posted to cover the rear of the besiegers against attacks from the direction of Traktir Bridge.Advertisement
- This general, hating Barclay, rode to visit a friend of his own, a corps commander, and, having spent the day with him, returned to Barclay and condemned, as unsuitable from every point of view, the battleground he had not seen.
- In 1453 hostilities against Florence were again resumed, on account of the invasions and ravages of Sienese territory committed by Florentine troops in their conflicts with Alphonso of Naples, who since 1447 had made Tuscany his battleground.
- When, in 1880, General Pitt-Rivers obtained possession of his great-uncle's estates-practically untouched by the excavator since they had been the battleground of the West Saxons, the Romans and the Britons-he devoted himself to exploring them.
- Similarly the various cities were divided in their allegiance between the Achaean and the Aetolian leagues, with the result that Arcadia became the battleground of these confederacies, or fell a prey to Sparta and Macedonia.
- The state was, next to Virginia, the chief battleground during the Civil War, and one historian has counted 454 battles and skirmishes which took place within its borders.Advertisement
- The sultans of Egypt were stirred to fresh activity by the attacks of the Mongols; and as Syria became the battleground of the two, the Latin principalities of Syria were fated to fall as the prize of victory to one or other of the combatants.
- Battleground Earth: Hip Hop star Ludacris ad bad boy rocker Tommy Lee battle against toxic destruction as they travel across country.
- Another great thing about the game is the number of battleground locations has increased to include those from all six films.
- The increased sexualization of girls at younger and younger ages means that swimsuits, already an awkward arena for parents because of the form fitting and skin-baring nature of these garments, have become a whole new battleground.
- Parkside was nothing more than an innocent battleground for disreputable elements of our society, at war with one another.Advertisement
- The constable de Richemont marched with the king's troops into Poitou, his old battleground with Georges de la Tremoille, and in two months he had subdued the country.
- Battleground: Fantasy Warfare is a wargame played with cards instead of painted miniatures.
- This album was a battleground for the former American Idol star and her record label.