Battering sentence example
- Officers in riot gear used a battering ram to break in to the ground floor flat.
- But her fragile 75ft trimaran, B&Q, is taking a battering in the rough seas of the Southern Ocean.
- The diet of 1497 passed most of its time in constructing, and then battering to pieces with axes and hammers, a huge wooden image representing the ministers of the crown, who were corrupt enough, but immovable, since they regularly appeared at the diet with thousands of retainers armed to the teeth, and openly derided the reforming endeavours of the lower gentry, who perceived that something was seriously wrong, yet were powerless to remedy it.
- Although the babies did well in the hospital, a troubling percentage of them seemed not to prosper at home and were even victims of battering and abuse.
- In 1813, when he was before San Sebastian, the ammunition ran short; a battering train, long demanded, reached him not only some time after it was needed, but even then with only one day's provision of shot and shell.Advertisement
- The Ciudad gallantry of the troops made it successful, though with Rodrigo, the loss of Generals Craufurd and McKinnon, and 1300 ulfrary s men, and Marmont's battering train of 150 guns here fell into the allied hands.
- With the width at the bottom thus limited, the furnace builder naturally tries to gain volume as rapidly as possible by flaring or " battering " his walls outwards, i.e.
- The Siege tower has a working drawbridge, the battering ram swings on chords.
- Other causes of offence arose, and Napoleon in his last communication to them warned them not to imitate the Greeks of the later Empire, who engaged in subtle discussions when the ram was battering at their gates.