Basidiospores sentence example
- In young asci a similar fusion of two nuclei occurs, and also in basidia, in each case the nucleus of the ascus or of the basidium resulting from the fusion subsequently giving rise by division to the nuclei of the ascospores and basidiospores respectively.
- In many cases the slimy masses of spermatia (Uredineae), conidia (Claviceps), basidiospores (Phallus, Coprinus), &c., emit more or less powerful odours, which attract flies or other insects, and it has been shown that bees carry the flagrant oidia of Sclerotinia to the stigma of Vaccinium and infect it, and that flies carry away the foetid spores of Phallus, just as pollen is dispersed by such insects.
- As a result convection currents are produced in the air which are sufficient to catch the basidiospores in their fall and carry them, away from the regions of comparative atmospheric stillness near the ground, to the upper air where more powerful air-currents can bring about their wide distribution.
- Conidia (basidiospores) borne in fours on a special conidiophore, the basidium.
- Brefeld regarded the promycelium as a kind of basidium, bearing lateral or terminal conidia (comparable to basidiospores), but since the number of basidiospores is not fixed, and the basidium has not yet assumed very definite morphological characters, Brefeld termed the group Hemibasidii, and regarded them as a halfway stage in the evolution of the true Basidiomycetes from Ph co Y Y mycetes, the Tilletia type leading to the true basidium (Autobasidium), the Ustilago type to the proto pm basidium, with lateral spores; but this p m view is based on very poor evidence, so that it is best to place these forms?p, c;,::, as a separate group, the Ustilaginales.Advertisement
- This very large group of plants is characterized by the possession of a special type of conidiophore - the basidium, which gives its name to the group. The basidium is a unicellular or multicellular structure from which four basidiospores arise as outgrowths; it starts asa binucleate structure, but soon, like the ascus, becomes uninucleate by the fusion of the two nuclei.
- The teleutospore puts forth on germination a fourcelled structure, the promycelium or basidium, and this bears later four sporidia or basidiospores, one on each cell.
- C, A basidium before the four nucleiderived from the secondary nucleus of the basidium have passed into the four basidiospores.
- Most of Basidiomycetes are characterized by the large sporophore on which the basidia with its basidiospores are borne.
- In this by far the larger division of the Basidiomycetes the basidia are undivided and the four basidiospores are borne on short sterigmata nearly always at the apex of the basidium.Advertisement
- Puffballs produce basidiospores from basidia that develop within the fruitbody.