Barrier-reef sentence example
- Off the Queensland coast the shelf broadens, its outer edge being lined by the seaward face of the Great Barrier Reef.
- The Great Barrier Reef forms the prominent feature off the north-east coast of Australia; its extent from north to south is 1200 m., and it is therefore the greatest of all coral reefs.
- - For Physical Geography: Barton, Australian Physiography (Brisbane, 1895); Wall, Physical Geography of Australia (Melbourne, 1883); Taylor, Geography of New South Wales (Sydney, 1898); Saville Kent, The Great Barrier Reef of Australia (London, 1893); A.
- Agassiz, Visit to the Barrier Reef (Cambridge, Mass., 1899); J.
- An almost unbroken barrier reef skirts the west shore at about 5 m.Advertisement
- The Great Barrier Reef of Australia can be traced more or less continuously round the Gulf of Papua and along the south-east coast to the extremity of the Louisiades.
- The surveys and reports of Captain Moresby in 1874 brought home to Queensland (and Australia generally) the dangers possible to her commerce were the coasts opposite to Torres Strait and the entrance to the splendid waterway inside the Barrier Reef to fall into the possession of a foreign power.
- Great Barrier Reef >>
- The black coral (Antipathes abies), formerly abundant in the Persian Gulf, and for which India is the chief market, has a wide distribution and grows to a considerable height and thickness in the tropical waters of the Great Barrier Reef of Australia.
- The upper deck five sailing vessels barrier reef aquatic dioramas.Advertisement
- The island is three kilometers off the coast of Guam and is surrounded by a vast barrier reef.
- The east side of the island has the barrier reef as a back drop and is a mere stone's throw from the island.
- The barrier reef, which is 185 miles long, is the longest barrier reef in the Western Hemisphere.
- cay located right on the Great Barrier Reef (off the Queensland coast from Gladstone ).