Barrens sentence example
- A native of sandy "pine barrens" in New Jersey.
- Providence is known as the "pine barrens," from the tree which principally grows in this rocky soil.
- On the summits of the Adirondacks are a few alpine species, such as reindeer moss and other lichens; on the shores of Long Island, Staten Island and Westchester county are a number of maritime species; and on Long Island are several species especially characteristic of the pine barrens of New Jersey.
- Between these extremes were the small farmers of the" Barrens" 2 in Kentucky and of the Piedmont Region in Virginia.
- 2 The " Barrens " were in the north part of the state west of the Blue Grass Region, and were so called merely because the Indians had burned most of the forests here in order to provide better pasturage for buffaloes and other game.Advertisement
- Adjoining this region are the pine barrens, which extend S.
- America, especially in Pine barrens on the west side of the Continent.
- The eastern and larger part of the state belongs to the coastal plain, in great part low and swampy, with large areas of sand barrens, and broken by isolated groups and ranges of hills.