Barracks sentence example
There was a crash, and one of the barracks collapsed.
The adjoining barracks were formerly the elector's palace.
The barracks are by the helipad by the cliff.
The palace acted as a barracks for his assassins, who were trudging in after he ordered their contracts all cancelled.
The barracks area was heavily guarded, but she was struck by the lack of activity in the part of the castle that normally hummed with life.Advertisement
Assembly rooms, a corn exchange, barracks and a theatre are the other chief buildings.
Just the barracks and office areas had been attacked.
The description of that vehicle is plastered at every toll booth, state police barracks and wire service from here to California and back.
The barracks were plain but sturdy, made of stone.
Four miles south of the centre of Atlanta is Fort McPherson, an important United States military post, occupying a reservation of 40 acres and having barracks for the accommodation of 1000 men.Advertisement
They descended to the warrior.s barracks level of the basements.
There's a State Police Barracks somewhere along that Interstate.
Opposite the barracks is the memorial to the officers and men of the Royal Artillery who fell in the Crimean War, a bronze figure of Victory cast out of cannon captured in the Crimea.
At Sackett's Harbor are Madison Barracks, a United States military post, established in 1813 and including a reservation of 99 acres; and a United States Naval Station.
In 1884 the port became a first-class naval station; and naval barracks, warehouses, offices, hospitals, &c., were established here.Advertisement
Early in the 19th century it was an important military post, with fortified barracks on Berry Head.
Its noteworthy public buildings are the custom-house and its storehouses which occupy the old quadrangular fortress built by the Spanish government between 1770 and 1775, and cover 15 acres, the prefecture, the military and naval offices and barracks, the post-office, three Catholic churches, a hospital, market, three clubs and some modern commercial houses.
This cliff is crowned by the walls and towers of the citadel, once white, but now maroon with age, and, though useful as a prison and barracks, no longer of any military value.
Barracks, hospitals and waterworks have been built, the military town, called Ferryville, being self-contained.
An infantry regiment is always stationed in the castle, and there are in addition the barracks at Piershill (or " Jock's Lodge "), half-way between Edinburgh and Portobello.Advertisement
Aleppo shared, and to some extent headed, the Syrian discontent with Egyptian rule, and was strongly held by troops whose huge barracks are still one of the sights of the city.
His gaze strayed towards the barracks, where he'd left Bianca.
He Traveled to the common area of the newbie barracks, where Bianca lay on her stomach across the couch in front of the TV.
She couldn't help but think the barracks and all their activity and life were far more appealing than the solemn, stately apartment that was hers.
It wasn't in the barracks of Kris's fortress.Advertisement
She hugged herself and treaded to the side of the main road down a small hill to the barracks housing the feds.
There are large barracks in the neighbourhood, and the Metropolitan lunatic asylum is close to the town.
It contains the barracks and the commissariat stores, the Protestant church, orphanage, Masonic lodge, post-office and numerous private dwellings.
The town is dominated by the castle (now used as barracks), which was reconstructed in 1492 by the Venetians, after it had been burnt in 1487 by the count of Tirol.
The buildings include the residence of the administrator, barracks, a government school for natives, a mosque and Hindu temple, and the establishment of the Mission du Sacre Caur, which possesses a large plantation of coco-nut palms. Bagamoyo is in telegraphic communication with Zanzibar and with the other coast towns of German East Africa, and has regular steamship communication with Zanzibar.
The most important buildings are the old palace of the Genoese governor, used as barracks, and the church (16th century), with the monument of the Baglioni family, which was intimately associated with the history of the town.
Dionysius, to make himself perfectly safe, drove out a number of the old inhabitants and turned the place into a barracks, he himself living in the citadel.
An enormous accumulation of lunatics of all sorts and degrees seems to have paralysed public authorities, who, at vast expense in buildings, mass them more or less indiscriminately in barracks, and expect that their sundry and difficult disorders can be properly studied and treated by a medical superintendent charged with the whole domestic establishment, with a few young assistants under him.
Its public buildings are inconspicuous; they include a theatre, military barracks, hospitals, a lunatic asylum and a secondary school.
Temesvar is the seat of a Roman Catholic and a Greek Orthodox bishop. Amongst its principal buildings are the Roman Catholic cathedral, built (1735-57) by Maria Theresa; the Greek Orthodox cathedral; a castle built by Hunyady Janos in 1442, now used as an arsenal; the town and county hall, the museum and large barracks.
Of the latter, the most prominent are the military barracks on the north bank of the river, the Protestant church, the Roman Catholic cathedral and St Colman's Roman Catholic college.
Between Friedrichsberg and Lollfuss on an island between the Schlei and Burg See is the old château of Gottorp, now used as barracks.
Cullera is a walled town, containing a ruined Moorish citadel, large barracks, several churches and convents and a hospital.
The principal are the governor's residence and government offices, the barracks, the cathedral, the missionary institutions, the fruit market, Wilberforce Hall, courts of justice, the railway station and the grammar school.
At one period barracks of the spahis occupied all that remains of the Kissaria, the place of residence of European merchants from Pisa, Genoa, Catalonia and Provence.
The barracks have been cleared away and a covered market made in the upper part of the Kissaria.
To the east of the city rises the Castello del Buon Consiglio, for centuries the residence of the prince-bishops, but now used as barracks.
There are also barracks with a military hospital and a rifle range.
The site of the fort is now nearly covered with houses, the barracks being in Fort Green.
The ruins, of the castle, and the remains of the Grey Friars' monastery, founded in 1218, at the west end of the town, and Dunbar House in High Street, formerly a mansion of the Lauderdales, but now used as barracks, are of historic interest.
Vancouver Barracks, east of the city, is an important U.S. military post (established in 1849) and the headquarters of the Military Department of the Columbia (including Washington, Oregon, Idaho, except the part in Yellowstone Park, and Alaska); the military reservation includes some 640 acres.
A new town was laid out in squares, the mudiria repaired and barracks built.
There are barracks with accommodation for 3000 men, and civil and military hospitals.
In 1793 large cavalry barracks were erected upon it, and it is also the site of extensive powder mills.
Under the Barracks Act 1890, and the Military Works Act of 1897 and 1899, large sums were provided for completing the work.
The former division of North and South camps and permanent barracks no longer obtains.
North camp is now named Marlborough Lines, with a field artillery barrack and five infantry barracks called after Marlborough's victories.
South camp is now named Stanhope Lines, after Mr Stanhope, who was secretary of state for war when the Barracks Act 1890 was passed and the reconstruction commenced in earnest.
They contain barracks for the Royal Engineers and Army Service Corps, the general parade, which stretches east and west, and five infantry barracks called after battles (other than those of Wellington), of the wars with France, 1 793181 5.
There are also barracks for the Royal Army Medical Corps.
The old permanent barracks (which were built for the most part about 1857) have been renamed Wellington Lines, with cavalry and artillery barracks; and three infantry barracks called after Wellington's victories in the Peninsula.
Most of the barracks can accommodate not only the units they are constructed for, but also detachments going through courses of instruction.
Suitable grounds in the vicinity of the barracks, of which Caesar's Camp, the Long Valley and Laffan's Plain are best known, are utilized for company, battalion and brigade training of infantry, while the mounted branches work over a wider area, and the engineers carry out their practices where most convenient.
Besides the troops in barracks, during the drill season there is often a considerable force in camp, both regular troops from other stations and militia and volunteer units, so that, including the regular garrison, sometimes as many as 40,000' troops have been concentrated at the station for training and manoeuvres.
Other buildings of interest are the museum of industrial art; the so-called "Pope's house," built in 1517 by Adrian Floriszoon Boeyens, afterwards Pope Adrian VI., and a native of Utrecht; the royal mint of Holland; the Fleshers' Hall (1637); the home for the aged, occupying a 14th-century mansion; the town hall (1830); and the large hospital prison and barracks.
Of the ancient kasbah nothing but the walls remain, the old buildings having been demolished to make way for barracks for the French troops.
Besides being a fortress the kasbah formerly contained a palace of the beys, barracks for janissaries and bagnios for the Christian slaves.
It is connected with the mainland by a pontoon bridge, and has a castle, now used as barracks, in the beautiful chapel of which many members of the Sonderburg-Augustenburg line lie buried; a Lutheran church and a town hall.
The fortress of Graudenz, which since 1873 has been used as a barracks and a military depot and prison, is situated on a steep eminence about 12 m.
A small stream called the Crkvina enters the Vrbas from the north-east and in the angle thus formed stand the citadel and barracks, with the 16th-century Ferhadiya Jamia, largest and most beautiful of more than 40 mosques in the city.
The old Spanish barracks have been enlarged and improved by the American military authorities and, under the name of "Henry Barracks," are used for the same purpose.
On the south side of the Fort are extensive barracks.
It has a Carnegie library, and is the seat of an Evangelical Lutheran theological seminary (1865), of Lutheran homes for the aged and orphan, of the Milwaukee county hospital for the insane, of the Milwaukee sanatorium for nervous diseases, and of the north-western branch of the national soldiers' home, which has grounds covering 385 acres and with main building and barracks affording quarters for over 2000 disabled veterans, and has a hospital, a theatre, and a library of 15,000 volumes.
It has long been demolished and the new barracks of the Grenadier regiment have been erected on the site.
He soon became generally detested by the army, but pursued his course unflinchingly and introduced many indispensable hygienic reforms. "Clean barracks are healthy barracks," was his motto.
Among the principal buildings are the churches of St Jakob, St Ignatius, St John and St Paul, the town-hall, and the barracks formed from a monastery suppressed under the emperor Joseph II.
The governor-general's palace and the government buildings are the most important of these; in the district of Weltevreden are also the barracks, and the artillery school, as well as the military and civil hospital, and not far off is the FrederikHendrik citadel built in 1837.
Farther inland, at Meester Cornelis, are barracks and a school for under-officers.
The Ploskaya Chast (Flat quarter) or Obolon contains the lunatic asylum; the Lukyanovka Chast, the penitentiary and the camp and barracks; and the Bulvarnaya Chast, the military gymnasium of St Vladimir and the railway station.
A collection of animals must be compared with public institutions such as barracks, or infirmaries.
The principal barracks, military hospital and clothing factory are at Karateluk on the plain and along the foot-hills to the north 3 m.
The European quarter contains several fine public buildings, including the residence of the governor, club house, barracks and hospital.
Of these the most important are the Idadieh school, the school of arts and crafts, the Jewish communal school; the Greek college, Zappeion; the Imperial Ottoman Bank and Tobacco Regie; a fire-tower; a theatre; palaces for the prefect of the city, the administrative staff of the second army corps and the defence works commission; a handsome row of barracks; a military hospital; and a French hospital.
To the west there are the Broadstone station, Dominion Street, and beyond this the large workhouse, prison, asylum and other district buildings, while the Royal barracks front the river behind Albert Quay.
Here, besides the viceregal demesne and lodge and the magazine, are a zoological garden, a people's garden, the Wellington monument, two barracks, the Hibernian military school, the "Fifteen Acres," a natural amphitheatre (of much greater extent than its name implies) used as a review ground, and a racecourse.
The troops are accommodated in several large barracks in various parts of the city.
Wyatt; the Guildhall; the barracks, which are the headquarters of two battalions of the South Wales Borderers; the county infirmary founded in 1832; and the prison (in Llanfaes) for the counties of Brecon and Radnor.
With an imposing force he returned to the Forum, and at the foot of the Capitol encountered Galba, who, alarmed by vague rumours of treachery, was making his way through a dense crowd of wondering citizens towards the barracks of the guard.
It suffered much from fires and other disasters, and from 1846 onward was used as a barracks and a military hospital; it has now, however, been cleared out and restored.
It contains the Albert Memorial Hall and the barracks for the sovereign's bodyguard, used when the king is in residence at Balmoral.
The Socialist organization of Labour is not an affair of barracks."
The ministry of war has its offices in the immense military quartet (barracks) on the north side of the Praga da Republica, and the ministry of marine in the naval arsenal at the foot of Sao Bento Hill.
The most noteworthy public buildings are the Cathedral (Porto Alegre being the see of a Roman Catholic bishop), the handsome church of Nossa Senhora das Dores, the municipal palace, school of engineering, government palace, legislative halls, school of medicine, athenaeum, normal school and public library and military barracks.
The public buildings include the fort, hospital and barracks.
In the central part of the city are the parliament building, governor's residence, barracks, law courts, university, Manitoba College and Wesley College buildings.
At the two ends were barracks for the soldiers (i.-vi., xiii.-xviii.).
The principal modern buildings are the town hall, corn exchange, free library, the Eastern Counties' asylum, Essex county hospital and barracks.
Thus the dressed stones of the ancient theatre served to build barracks; the material of the hippodrome went to build the church; while the portico of the hippodrome, supported by granite and marble columns, and approached by a fine flight of steps, was destroyed by Cardinal Lavigerie in a search for the tomb of St Marciana.
The present infantry barracks were at one time occupied by the university of Wittenberg, founded in 1502, but merged in the university of Halle in 1815.
North-west of the city are the military barracks built in 1 7931 794.
Adjoining the church is the convent, long used as barracks.
The town of Palembang is a large place on the river Musi, with 50,000 inhabitants (2500 Chinese), extensive barracks, hospitals, &c., a mosque (1740), considered the finest in the Dutch Indies, and a traditional tomb of Alexander the Great.
The old Franciscan monastery, with fine cloisters, founded in 1250, contains the gymnasium; a Cistercian nunnery of 1214 has been converted into barracks; and the Augustinian monastery of 1390 has been a hospital since 1525.
Though the town itself, with the barracks and military hospital as its principal buildings, presents little to attract the foreign visitor, the beauty of the gulf and of the neighbouring country has brought Spezia into some repute as a winter resort, and it is also visited in summer for sea-bathing.
The only building of importance is the ark, or citadel, a walled building in the centre of the town containing an arsenal and barracks for a small garrison.
Here are the barracks, officers' quarters, railway works, and an esplanade along the river front.
Adjoining the theatres is a large rectangular enclosure, surrounded by a portico, at first the colonnade connected with the theatres, and converted, about the time of Nero, into the barracks of the gladiators, who were permanently maintained in the city with a view to the shows in the amphitheatre.
The town is well built, has many spacious squares and attractive public grounds, and contains a castle, a handsome town-hall, a gymnasium, &c. The old palace of the abbots of Kempten, dating from the end of the 17th century, is now partly used as barracks, and near to it is the fine abbey church.
Chief among these is the barracks, erected by the colony in 1758 to mitigate the evils of billeting, and occupied by British troops during the Seven Years' War, and at different times by British, Hessian and American troops during the War of Independence.
Facing the river immediately north of the Great Nile bridge are the large barracks, called Kasr-en-Nil, and the new museum of Egyptian antiquities (opened in 1902).
Adjoining the palace are barracks.
Abbasia is now largely a military colony, the cavalry barracks being the old palace of Abbas Pasha.
In these barracks Arabi Pasha surrendered to the British on the 14th of September 1882, the day after the battle of Tel el-Kebir.
Marshal Marmont, writing in 1839, mentions the capacity of the Egyptians for endurance; and it was tested In 1883, especially in the 2nd Brigade, since its officers (Turks and Egyptians), anxious to excel as drill-masters, worked their men not only from morn till eve, but also by lamplight in the corridors of the barracks.
He made large purchases of slaves (Mamelukes) for his army, and when the inhabitants of Cairo complained of their lawlessness, he built barracks for them on the island of Roda (Raula), whence they were called Bahri or Nile Mamelukes, which became the name of the first dynasty that originated from them.
On the evening of the 14th the 10,000 troops occupying Abbasia barracks, and 5000 in the citadel of Cairo, surrendered.
The first is commanded by King John's Castle, on King's Island, a fine Norman fortress fronting the river, and used as barracks.
The churches of St Munchin (to whom is attributed the foundation of the see in the 6th century) and St John, Whitamore's Castle and a Dominican priory, are other remains of antiquarian interest; while the principal city and county buildings are a chamber of commerce, a custom house commanding the river, and court house, town hall and barracks.
It was formerly a British military cantonment and residence of a political agent, but in 1886, when the fortress of Gwalior was restored to Sindhia, the troops at Morar were withdrawn to Jhansi, and the extensive barracks were likewise made over to Sindhia.
Besides these there is a fever hospital, erected by Lord John George Beresford; a college, which Primate Robinson was anxious to raise to the rank of a university; a public library founded by him, an observatory, which has become famous from the efficiency of its astronomers; a number of churches and schools, and barracks.
There are extensive military barracks at Tanglin.
The principal buildings are a ducal palace, erected 1685-1695, now used as barracks, with a park in which there is a monument to Queen Louisa of Prussia, the old town hall, two Evangelical and a Roman Catholic church and a theatre.
The streets are wide and its promenades and fine plane-trees make the town attractive; but the public buildings, the chief of which are the church of St Jean, a heavy building of the 18th century, and the citadel, which serves as barracks and prison, are of small interest.
There are also the exchange (1905); the AustroHungarian bank (1904); the central post and telegraph office; the art-industrial museum (1893-1897), in oriental style, with some characteristically Hungarian ornamentations; several handsome theatres; large barracks; technical and secondary schools; two great railway termini and a central market (1897) to be mentioned.
The immigration barracks on Ross Island have accommodation for five hundred persons.
It has also a Gothic town-hall, a castle, now used as barracks, and two fine squares.
To the south of the fields lies the Artillery Ground, the training ground of the Honourable Artillery Company, so occupied since 1641, with barracks and armoury.
Besides a fine Roman Catholic church, a court house and barracks, Macroom possesses a modernized castle, which is said to have been founded by King John, though it is more probably attributable to Norman invaders.
A military shaft, locally known as the Corkscrew Staircase, affords communication between the barracks and the town.
A large municipal gaol (1834-1837), capable of receiving 500 inmates, with barracks for a regiment, is a striking object on the Prado.
There are, besides the town-hall, Royal College, public offices and theatre, large barracks and military stores.
The castle of St Michael, the governor's residence, the hospital and barracks, testify to the former importance of the town.
This castle, which is now used as a barracks, is one of the largest Renaissance buildings in Germany.
It is now turned into barracks and a hospital.
Hardly any remains of its once extensive ramparts and towers are now to be seen; but the castle, founded by William the Conqueror and completed by Henry I., is still employed as barracks, though in a greatly altered condition.
Prison labour has found an outlet, therefore, in such work as service blanket making, hammock making, mail-bag making, the manufacture of cartridge cases, flags, chopping firewood for barracks and so on, having been diverted almost entirely from mat-making, once an exclusive prison trade originally invented indeed by prison task-masters.
The old cathedral, last used for public worship in 1707, is a very interesting late Romanesque building, with Gothic and Mauresque additions; but the interior was much defaced by its conversion into barracks after 1717.
There is a gunnery establishment in the harbour on Whale Island, the area of which has been increased to nearly 90 acres by the accretion of material excavated from the dockyard extension works, and various barracks including those of the royal marine artillery at Eastney, beyond Southsea.
The ancient and once powerful Premonstratensian abbey of Bruck, east of the town, is now occupied as barracks.
Much of the city has been constructed since 1878, and the barracks, post office, college for girls and National Bank are handsome modern buildings.
The French fort, barracks, hospital and other buildings are south of the native town.
Albacete comprises the picturesque old upper town and the new or lower town, with lawcourts, schools, barracks, hospitals, a council-hall, a bull-ring and other modern buildings, mostly erected after the city became a provincial capital in 1833.
There are several schools, a hospital founded in the 13th century, and some new artillery barracks.
In 1797 the town was strongly fortified on the Roscommon side, the works covering 15 acres and containing two magazines, an ordnance store, an armoury with 15,000 stands of arms and barracks for 1500 men.
The Chateau Neuf (r 5th and 16th centuries) serves as barracks and prison.
The huge Farnese palace was begun after Vignola's designs by Margaret of Austria in 1558, but it was never completed, and since 1800 it has been used as barracks.
Ostermalm, lying east, that is, on the seaward side, of Norrmalm, is a good residential quarter, containing no public buildings of note, save the barracks of the Swedish Guards and the fine royal library, which is entitled to receive a copy of every work printed in Sweden.
On an eminence, which dominates the town, is situated the old castle, formerly the seat of the counts of Gerz, now partly used as barracks.
Formerly the seat of the beys of Oran, it is occupied by the general in command of the military division and also serves as barracks.
The town contains several old buildings of historical interest, notably the castle, built towards the end of the 10th century, and now used as barracks.
The buildings are used as barracks.
Barracks for British troops occupy the end of the line facing the Blue Nile.
The campus of the university is the former barracks of the Baton Rouge garrison, occupied by the college since 1886 and transferred to it by the Federal government in 1902.
Though for the most part poorly built, it has one or two buildings of some pretension - an ancient castle, a mosque, a Franciscan monastery, government buildings and barracks.
The west end and the south-west are the residential quarters, the north-west is largely occupied by academic, scientific and military institutions, the north is the seat of machinery works, the north-east of the woollen manufactures, the east and south-east of the dyeing, furniture and metal industries, while in the south are great barracks and railway works.
Among the modern buildings are the theatre, the barracks, the bourse, a large hospital, the new town-hall, superseding a building of the 13th century, and the new government buildings.
Huntington's inhabitants were mostly strong patriots, notably Ebenezer Prime (1700-1779), pastor of the First Presbyterian Church, which the British used as a barracks, and his son Benjamin Young Prime (1733-1791), a physician, linguist and patriot poet, who was the father of Samuel Irenaeus Prime (1812-1885), editor of the New York Observer.
The citadel is now used for barracks.
It consists at present of bare and ugly British barracks, among which are scattered exquisite gems of oriental architecture.
In the vicinity are the Chelsea Barracks (not actually in the borough).
To the right of the governor's house is Mount Ceperon, on which stand Fort St Michel, the marine barracks, the signal station and the lighthouse.
The troops nearest the enemy, however, which have to be maintained in a state of constant readiness for battle, cannot as a rule afford the time either for dispersing into quarters or for rallying on an alarm, and in western Europe at any rate they are required to bivouac. In India, the term "cantonment" means more generally a military station or standing camp. The troops live, not in private houses, but in barracks, huts, forts or occasionally camps.
There are large military barracks near the shore, a theatre and a custom-house.
The entrance to the harbour was guarded by two blockhouses; provision was made for barracks and garrison stores; buildings were erected for the legislature; and there the members of parliament, summoned by royal proclamation to "meet us in our provincial parliament in our town of York," assembled on the 1st of June 1797.
The Unitarians are an important body with (1908) 350 ministers and 345 places of worship. Most numerous, probably, are the adherents of the Salvation Army, which with a semi-military organization has in Great Britain alone over 60,000 officers, and " barracks," i.e.
It contains barracks, hospital and government offices.
It was then thought that, if the sepoys mutinied, they would march off to Delhi, and Wheeler contented himself by throwing up a rude entrenchment round the hospital barracks, where he thought that the Europeans would be safe during the first tumult of a rising.
They include the Palacio Nacional or government buildings, Corinthian in style, the national library and museum, an ornate Renaissance structure, the barracks and the general post office.
The majority of inscriptions and images bearing her name have been found in Gaul, Germany and the Danube countries; of the few that occur in Rome itself most were exhumed on the site of the barracks of the equiles singulares, a foreign imperial bodyguard mainly recruited from the Batavians.
Within the walls, which had a circumference of six miles, were villages separated by fields, several royal palaces, a market-place and a large square containing the barracks.
The excitement culminated in a revolutionary outbreak at Ploesci, where a hot-headed deputy, Candianu Popescu, after the mob had stormed the militia barracks, issued a proclamation deposing Prince Charles and appointing General Golescu regent.
It was for long used as a barracks and prison, to the exigencies of which the fine apartments were ruthlessly adapted, but it is now municipal property.
It possesses castle erected in 1565 and now used as barracks, an ancient town hall, a church with an excellent organ, a high-grade school, an orphan asylum, and in the market-place a statue of the margrave Charles II.
At the upper end of Castle Street stands the Salvation Army Citadel, an effective castellated mansion, the most imposing "barracks" possessed anywhere by this organization.
On an eminence east of Castle Street are the military barracks.
The principal other buildings are the provincial government offices, the royal school of music, the college of art, the large building (1874) of the society for arts and sciences, the ethnographical institute of the Netherlands Indies with fine library, the theatres, civil and military hospitals, orphanage, lunatic asylum and other charitable institutions; the fine modern railway station (1892), the cavalry and artillery and the infantry barracks, and the cannon foundry.
Other buildings are the churches (two Evangelical and one Roman Catholic), the Carolinum (a large hospital), the town hall, the barracks, the gymnasium and the theatre.
Among other conspicuous buildings are the large barracks and other military establishments; the town hall; and the Brandenburg gate, in the style of a Roman triumphal arch.
The principal secular buildings are the town-hall, the county and city courts and prisons, the custom-house and the barracks.
Their services to society and the Church include 6 houses for fallen women, 7 orphanages, 9 elementary and high schools and colleges, 5 hospitals, mission work in 13 parishes and visiting in several " married quarters " of barracks.
The other noteworthy buildings are the bull-ring, capable of seating 10,000 spectators, the theatre, fine provincial and municipal halls, barracks, a hospital, a Jesuit college, the American International School for girls, and many other schools.
In addition to U.S. government buildings (marine hospital and barracks, agricultural experiment station, wireless telegraph station and magnetic observatory), there are two public schools (one for whites and one for Thlinkets), the Sheldon Jackson (ethnological) Museum, which is connected with the Presbyterian Industrial Training School, a parochial school of the Orthodox Greek (Russian) Church, a Russian-Greek Church, built in 1816, and St Peter's-by-the-Sea, a Protestant Episcopal mission, built in 1899.
Among the principal buildings are the ancient castle, formerly the residence of the counts of Hanau; the church of St John, dating from the 17th century, with a handsome tower; the old church of St Mary, containing the burial vault of the counts of Hanau; the church in the new town, built by the Walloons in the beginning of the 17th century in the form of two intersecting circles; the Roman Catholic church, the synagogue, the theatre, the barracks, the arsenal and the hospital.
Other buildings are the court-house, a public library containing many old works, a theatre, a large concert-hall, a museum of antiquities (as well as a separate collection of Spanish antiquities), a gymnasium, a teachers' and art school, a building (1880) to contain the provincial archives, a hospital (1889) and barracks.
In the chateau (13th century) now used as barracks, the emperor Napoleon III.
The present town, French in character, has well-built modern streets with many arcades, and numbers among its buildings several mosques and churches, extensive barracks and a large military hospital.
He laid most stress upon this axiom when, in September 1886, Ruiz Zorilla suddenly sprang upon Sagasta a military and revolutionary movement in the streets and barracks of Madrid.
It contains five mosques and the Turkish government offices and barracks, and in the business quarter several cafes and shops kept by Greeks.
Besides the barracks there are a circuit house, dal bungalow, courthouse, and post and telegraph offices.
In the vicinity are barracks.
Avila also possesses an old Moorish castle (alcazar) used as barracks, a foundling hospital, infirmary, military academy, and training schools for teachers of both sexes.
A part of it is in ruins, and another part has been for some time used as military barracks by the government.
His thoughts turned to Jonny, who'd been taken to the Guardians' barracks.
The barracks at HQ are full from the incoming Guardians, and I have an emergency order for more weapons in.
She followed on Jenn's heels through the silent mansion and into a bustling barracks teeming with Guardians.
The compound hummed with activity, from the gardens that served as a helipad to the teeming barracks and Guardians pacing the halIs.
She ran all the way to the Guardians' barracks and stopped, awed.
The barracks was loud with chatter from other new Guardians.
Sarah told the justices she was on her way to Ashton-under-Lyne to see the colonel at the barracks.
Stone cleaning the south elevation of the Waterloo Barracks.
The barracks were full of fresh recruits, also many reservists were arriving every day.
Note the ruins of the miners ' barracks on the lake shore.
The building on the right with the white horizontal stripe is the enlisted men's barracks.
Capo d'Istria, to whom there is a statue in the principal square, erected there a large building, intended for a barracks, which was subsequently used as a museum, a library and a school.
A road has been cut through the centre of the building, the mosque turned into barracks, and the hall of audience allowed to fall into ruin.
Between Friedrichsberg and Lollfuss on an island between the Schlei and Burg See is the old chÃ¢teau of Gottorp, now used as barracks.
Among its public buildings are the government palace, the legislative and municipal hall, the "Quatro de Setembro" theatre, Misericordia hospital, public market, sanitation and public works, building, courts, police headquarters, barracks, &c. The town is characteristically Portuguese in appearance, its buildings being one or two stories in height, plastered and frequently coloured outside, with large rooms, thick walls, and tile roofs to ensure coolness.
The quartermaster 's stores moved by march route to Levis barracks at Arras.
They broke out of the barracks, stormed Tidemills and took 300 sacks of flour from the sloop ship Lucy.
The building on the right with the white horizontal stripe is the enlisted men 's barracks.
In the Crows' Nest stage, defend the hangar, go the barracks, and find the skull under a hallway with small sewer tunnels.
The condition occurs most often in spring and fall and can occur in epidemics within dormitories, army barracks, or other locations where young people live in close proximity to each other.
Access a brief history of Alcatraz Island, and take a virtual tour of select parts of the prison, including a cellblock, the watchtower, the ruins of the warden's house and the fortified barracks.
The new prison was designated as the Pacific Branch, U.S. Disciplinary Barracks for the U.S. Army.
The uniform also features a white barracks cover, sky blue trousers and a plain white button-down shirt.
The lackey picked her up and carted her to the garage, which served as a makeshift barracks filled with cots and sleeping men.
He checked his watch and rose, trotting out of the house to the barracks.
Toni was right; the barracks area was packed.
He took her hand and led her out of the barracks through the back door and into the main house.
With a noisy sigh, he slinked out the back door of the kitchen towards the barracks.
They crossed through a common area with a kitchenette and large, flat-screen TV, past a gym, a library, and a few other common rooms, and into the barracks area, which bustled with activity.
She followed what she thought was the path Ully had brought her on and found her way to the women's barracks.
Lana waved to them in greeting as she reached the barracks.
Lana's smile remained as she crossed the helipad towards the barracks.
Planey led them to the barracks.
She turned away and started towards the barracks.
The old (1678) and new (1873) episcopal palaces, the hospital, the university and the barracks (formerly a Franciscan monastery) are noteworthy examples of Spanish colonial architecture.
Within the yard there are extensive naval stores and barracks.
Outside the dockyard are the residences of the admiral of the home fleet and other officers, and barracks.
From this period dates the castle, and also the buildings of the university, founded by Gabriel Bethlen, and now used as barracks.
On the right (N.) are some small well-preserved thermae, and the barracks of the firemen (vigiles), a special cohort of whom was stationed here.
The remains of the old castle of the margraves have been converted into barracks.
The former Royal Dockyard was made over to the War Office in 1872 and converted into stores, wharves for the loading of troopships, &c. The Royal Artillery Barracks, facing Woolwich Common, originally erected in 1775, has been greatly extended at different times, and consists of six ranges of Brick building, including a church in the Italian Gothic style erected in 1863, a theatre, and a library in connexion with the officers' mess-room.
Near the barracks is the Royal Artillery Institution, with a fine museum and a lecture hall.
There are a number of other barracks.
Berhampur was fixed upon after the battle of Plassey as the site of the chief military station for Bengal; and a huge square of brick barracks was erected in 1767, at a cost of 30o,000.
No troops are now stationed here, and the barracks have been utilized for a jail, a lunatic asylum and other civic buildings.
It stands in the parade ground of the Brompton barracks, facing the Crimean arch.
The lines include the Chatham, the Royal Marine, the Brompton, the Hut, St Mary's and naval barracks; the garrison hospital, Melville hospital for sailors and marines, the arsenal, gymnasium, various military schools, convict prison, and finally the extensive dockyard system for which the town is famous.
It is the see of a bishopric and headquarters of an important military district, having an arsenal and military barracks.
The castle and barracks, occupied by an Austrian garrison, stand on a cliff commanding a fine view of the city.
Apart from the schools under the ministry of war (Cossack voiskos and schools at the barracks), the great bulk of the primary schools are either under the ministry of public instruction or of the Holy Synod.
The principal buildings are the old church of St Vincent, containing the monuments of the lords of Arkel; the town hall, a prison, custom-house, barracks and a military hospital.
It possesses two Protestant and four Roman Catholic churches, a synagogue, a mining school, a convent, a hospital, two orphanages, and barracks.
Beside the harbour are engineering works, dry docks and barracks, stores and workshops belonging to the Russian Caspian fleet.
To the north of it are the modern citadel and the barracks, and beyond, a public promenade.
About a mile and a half east of Kano is Nassarawa, formerly the emir's suburban residence, but since 1902 the British Residency and barracks.
The slope on which old Tortosa stands is crowned with an ancient castle, which has been restored and converted into barracks and a hospital.
It is a fortified place and has a good harbour, arsenal, magazine and barracks.
A vigorous campaign against monasticism took place; the monasteries were closed, and many of them pulled down or converted into barracks; monks and nuns were compelled to marry, and exiled in large numbers to Cyprus; the literary and artistic treasures were sold for the benefit of the imperial treasury.
The principal other buildings are the court house, government buildings (formerly a Jesuit monastery), episcopal palace, grammar school (once attended by Erasmus), a prison, hospitals, arsenal and barracks.
The public buildings, which are large and handsome, include the government and customs offices on the quay opposite the spot where the mail boats anchor, the governor's house, state hospital, post office, and the Boma or barracks.
Among other buildings are the court house, the market hall, the assembly rooms (a handsome building adjoining the town-hall), and large barracks.
An elaborate plan of operations, which he described in detail in a letter to his brother after his arrest, had been prepared by Emmet, the leading feature of which was a simultaneous attack on the castle, the Pigeon House and the artillery barracks at Island bridge; while bodies of insurgents from the neighbouring counties were to march on the capital.
The more conspicuous buildings are the ancient Gothic cathedral (restored in 1866, and again in 1870 after the interior was destroyed by fire), with its lofty tower, the cavalry barracks, the ex-convent of the Capuchins at a little distance from the city, and the seminary in which are preserved the famous Oscan inscription known as the Cippus Abellanus (from Abella, the modern Avella, q.v.) and some Latin inscriptions relating to a treaty with Nola regarding a joint temple of Hercules.
It contains a small fort and large barracks.
Among these are the town hall, of the 16th century, in the Transition style from late Gothic to Renaissance, restored in recent years; the Kornhaus; the Ehingerhaus or Neubronnerhaus, now containing the industrial museum; and the commandery of the Teutonic order, built in1712-1718on the site of a habitation of the order dating from the 13th century, and now used as barracks.
Its principal building, the former episcopal residence, rebuilt by Cardinal de Rohan in 1779, is now used as barracks.
The principal buildings are the old town-hall, the market house, the guildhall, the Royal Dorset Yacht Clubhouse, the theatre, the Royal Victoria Jubilee Hall, the Weymouth and Dorset eye infirmary, the Weymouth royal hospital and dispensary and the barracks.
He was assigned for duty to Jefferson Barracks at St Louis, and on reaching this post was ordered to Fort Crawford, near Prairie du Chien, Wisconsin.
Reaching the large house near the Horse Guards' barracks, in which Anatole lived, Pierre entered the lighted porch, ascended the stairs, and went in at the open door.
The barracks and other military buildings occupy the site of the old citadel, an area of over 300 acres, to the west of the native town.
At midnight on the 6th of December 1741, with a few personal friends, including her physician, Armand Lestocq, her chamberlain, Michael Ilarionvich Vorontsov, her future husband, Alexius Razumovski, and Alexander and Peter Shuvalov, two of the gentlemen of her household, she drove to the barracks of the Preobrazhensky Guards, enlisted their sympathies by a stirring speech, and led them to the Winter Palace, where the regent was reposing in absolute security.
There were three people with access to the keypads, and one was sleeping in the barracks from too much drugs.
It was a barracks for the Guardians, most of whom greeted her with a quiet good day, ikira as she passed.