Barra sentence example
- Olhao has a good harbour at the head of the Barra Nova, a deep channel among the sandy islands which fringe the coast.
- The total length of this group, from Barra Head to the Butt of Lewis, is 130 m., the breadth varying from less than 1 m.
- There were also the Macdonalds of Clanranald and Glengarry (descendants of Somerled), with the powerful houses of Macleod of Dunvegan and Macleod of Harris, M`Neil1 of Barra and Maclean of Mull.
- It has been commonly believed to have two breeding-places in the British Islands, namely, St Kilda and South Barra; but, according to Robert Gray (Birds of the West of Scotland, p. 499), it has abandoned the latter since 1844, though still breeding in Skye.
- The Scottish seaboard is divided for administrative purposes into twenty-seven fishery districts, namely, on the east coast, Eyemouth, Leith, Anstruther, Montrose, Stonehaven, Aberdeen, Peterhead, Fraserburgh, Banff, Buckie, Findhorn, Cromarty, Helmsdale, Lybster, Wick (15); on the north, Orkney, Shetland (2); on the west, Stornoway, Barra, Loch Broom, Loch Carron and Skye, Fort William, Campbeltown, Inverary, Rothesay, Greenock, Ballantrae (10).Advertisement
- This place derives its name from the castle of Kishmul standing on a rock in the bay, which was once the stronghold of the M`Neills of Barra, one of the oldest of Highland clans.
- On Barra Head, the highest point of Berneray, and also the most southerly point of the outer Hebrides chain, is a lighthouse 680 ft.
- Within the protectorate are various petty kingdoms, such as Barra, to the north of the Gambia, and Kommbo, to the south.
- St Mary's Isle was acquired in 1806; McCarthy's Isle was bought in 1823; the Ceded Mile was granted by the king of Barra in 1826; and British Kommbo between 1840 and 1855.
- Traversing the Grand Barra Depression,, I watched endless shimmering mirages.Advertisement
- For the minister on Barra this was a particularly pressing problem.
- Recently the california trouser snake was stranded up in the western isles on Barra for a week with.. .
- I'm needin a load o chuckie stanes tae mak a gairden path, but it's a sair fecht tae fill this barra.
- Albreda, a small port on the north bank of the river, of some historic interest (see below), is in the Barra district.
- Recently the california trouser snake was stranded up in the western isles on Barra for a week with...Advertisement
- I 'm needin a load o chuckie stanes tae mak a gairden path, but it 's a sair fecht tae fill this barra.