Barium enema sentence example
- balloon catheter used for barium enema can very rarely cause perforation.
- At that time he was interested in the then relatively new technique of the double contrast barium enema.
- The rectal balloon catheter used for barium enema can very rarely cause perforation.
- They will consist of some form of endoscopic examination (either sigmoidoscopy or colonoscopy ), often followed by a barium enema radiological examination.
- If complete colonoscopy is not feasible, flexible sigmoidoscopy followed by a double-contrast barium enema is an acceptable alternative.Advertisement
- Double-Contrast Barium Enema (DCBE), every five years: DCBE involves drinking a special substance which makes the colon more clearly visible on an X-ray.
- Sometimes a lighted, flexible fiber optic instrument (sigmoidoscope) may be inserted rectally in conjunction with a barium enema to visualize the bowel.
- In infants, a barium enema may reverse intussusception in 50-90 percent of cases.
- It may be necessary to do more invasive tests, such as a barium enema or upper GI series, if the obstruction is mechanical.
- In such cases a barium enema should always be done first.Advertisement
- Diagnostic tests may include stool or blood tests, hydrogen breath test, or an x ray of the bowel, called a barium enema.
- When symptoms continue even after treatment or to rule out the presence of other illnesses with similar symptoms, the diagnostic evaluation may include blood tests, a hydrogen breath test, or an x ray of the bowel, called a barium enema.
- The diagnosis is confirmed by a barium enema x ray, which shows a picture of the bowel.