Barghest sentence example
- BARGHEST, BARGUEST or Bargest, the name given in the north of England, especially in Yorkshire, to a monstrous goblindog with huge teeth and claws.
- The Demon of Tedworth, the Black Dog of Winchester and the Padfoot of Wakefield all shared the characteristics of the Barghest of York.
- The derivation of the word barghest is disputed.
- The barghest has a kinsman in the Rongeur d'Os of Norman folklore.
- The barghest was essentially a nocturnal spectre, and its appearance was regarded as a portent of death.Advertisement