Baracoa sentence example
- Gran Piedra rises more than 5200 ft., the Ojo del Toro more than 33 00, the Anvil de Baracoa is somewhat lower, and Pan de Matanzas is about 1267 ft.
- The range near Baracoa is extremely wild and broken.
- At Esperanza and other places in the Santa Clara province, bituminous plant-bearing beds occur beneath the Tertiary limestones, and at Baracoa a Radiolarian earth occupies a similar position.
- Bananas are grown particularly in the region about Nipe, Gibara and Baracoa, whence they are exported in large quantities, though there is a tendency to lessen their culture in these parts in favour of sugar.
- The coco-nut palm is most abundant in the vicinity of Baracoa.Advertisement
- Of other agricultural crops those of fruits are of greatest importance - bananas (which are planted about once in three years), pine-apples (planted about once in five years), coco-nuts, oranges, &c. The coco-nut industry has long been largely confined to the region about Baracoa, owing to the ruin of the trees elsewhere by a disease not yet thoroughly understood, which, appearing finally near Baracoa, threatened by 1908 to destroy the industry there as well.
- Baracoa (the landing point), Bayamo, Santiago de Cuba, Puerto Principe, Sancti Spiritus, Trinidad and the original Havana were all founded by 1515.
- The hill called the "Anvil of Baracoa" (about 3000 ft.) is remarkable for its extremely regular formation.
- Baracoa is the oldest town in Cuba, having been settled by Diego Velazquez in 1512.
- Both honours were taken from it to be given to Santiago de Cuba; and for two centuries after this Baracoa remained an obscure village, with little commerce.Advertisement
- Until the middle of the 1 8th century Baracoa was almost without connexion with Havana and Santiago.
- The place was founded in 1514 by Diego Velazquez, and the capital of the island was removed thither from Baracoa.
- In 1522 it received the arms and title of ciudad, and its church was made the cathedral of the island (Baracoa losing the honour).