Bangweulu sentence example
- Bangweulu >>
- Again, on the map illustrating Livingstone's " Last Journals " the Luapula is shown as issuing from the Bangweulu in the north-west, when an examination of the account of the natives who carried the great explorer's remains to the coast would have shown that it leaves that lake on the south.
- BANGWEULU, a shallow lake of British Central Africa, formed by the head streams of the Congo.
- Bangweulu occupies the north-west part of a central basin in an extensive plateau, and is about 3700 ft.
- The term Bangweulu is sometimes applied to the whole depression, but is properly confined to the area of clear water.Advertisement
- South of Bangweulu the swamp extends to 12° 10' S.
- The Luapula, which leaves Bangweulu at its most southern point, is about a mile wide at the outflow, but soon narrows to 300 or so yds.
- A sandy track separates Bangweulu from Kampolombo, and a narrow forest-clad tongue of land called Kapata intervenes between the Luapula and Kampolombo.
- The flood waters of the Chambezi and other streams, which deposit large quantities of alluvium, are gradually solidifying the swamp, while the Luapula is believed to be, though very slowly, draining Bangweulu.
- traveller, Francisco de Lacerda, in 1798, Bangweulu was first reached in 1868 by David Livingstone, who died six years later among the swamps to the south.Advertisement
- After visiting Lake Mofwa and the Lualaba, which he believed was the upper part of the Nile, he, on the 18th of July 1868, discovered Lake Bangweulu.
- Thus attended, he started on the 15th of August for Lake Bangweulu, proceeding along the east side of Tanganyika.
- In January 1873 the party got among the endless spongy jungle on the east of Lake Bangweulu, Livingstone's object being to go round by the south and away west to find the "fountains."
- The most remote head-stream of the Congo is the Chambezi, which flows south-west into the marshy Lake Bangweulu.
- Besides the East African lakes the principal are: - Lake Chad, in the northern area of inland drainage; Bangweulu and Mweru, traversed by the head-stream of the Congo; and Leopold II.Advertisement
- South of Bangweulu the swamp extends to 12Ã‚° 10' S.