Balks sentence example
- balks of timber, used for making the lock gates on the canal, are stacked on the bank.
- balks at any suggestion of it.
- The whole of the viaduct was decked with 3 inch timber planking with large timber balks running longitudinally under the rails.
- baulknonetheless balks at the prospect that he could be required to wear an electronic tag.
- baulk barrow will be divided into quadrants separated by 1m wide balks.Advertisement
- baulkth fell into the sea from the South Parade Pier at Southsea, the sea being very rough with balks of floating timber.
- If your employer still balks at allowing you to breastfeed, and you notice other employees taking cigarette breaks, extra long lunches for hair appointments and/or doctors' visits, then you may need to point that out to your boss.
- If your representative balks at showing you an up to date, valid policy, move on to the next company.
- If he or she balks at ideas during your initial consultation, consider hiring someone else.
- If he balks at church groups, he might need to find a fresh start with a new group of peers who is separate from his past problems.Advertisement
- The arable land was divided into two or, more usually, three fields, which were cut up into strips bounded by balks and allotted to the villagers in such a way that one holding might include several disconnected strips in each field - a measure designed to prevent the whole of the best land falling to one man.
- Its weight and strength, and the large size of the balks, make it very valuable for heavy constructional works and piling, and its fine figure makes it equally valuable for joinery.