Baleful sentence example
- The former vamp's baleful look remained, but his eyes were blue, not red.
- How far he was personally responsible for the Anglican Settlement, the Poor Laws, and the foreign policy of the reign, how far he was thwarted by the baleful influence of Leicester and the caprices of the queen, remains to a large extent a matter of conjecture.
- Philip happened to become the most prominent and most formidable type of a danger which was already threatening Greece before his baleful star arose.
- William inherited the baleful lustre, without the substantial power, which his ancestors had given to the name of Orange.
- The great deserts of the Middle East were attributed to the baleful glare of hordes of basilisks.Advertisement
- In a word, though most men anywise eminent have found reason to complain of calumny, I never was touched, or even attacked, by her baleful tooth; and, though I wantonly exposed myself to the rage of both civil and religious factions, they seem to be disarmed on my behalf of their wonted fury.
- In Wales its counterpart was Gwyllgi, "the Dog of Darkness," a frightful apparition of a mastiff with baleful breath and blazing red eyes.