Baleen sentence example
- Rorqual whales such as the fin and minke whales have much shorter, firmer baleen and feed by gulping.
- Like most other baleen whales, they spend the winters in warm waters and migrate to cold seas to feed in summer.
- Believe it or not, the larger baleen whales are still commercially extinct.
- They have very long flexible baleen plates that catch the tiny plankton in the hairs.
- It can record baleen whale calls within an area of up to 50 km around the device.Advertisement
- Drift whales were utilized in the earliest years of the colony, and shore boating for the baleen (or " right ") whale - rich in bone and in blubber yielding common oil - was an industry already regulated by various towns before 1650; but the pursuit of the sperm whale did not begin until about 1713.
- The whale fishery also has greatly fallen off; there is no profit on the oil and the whales are sought for the baleen alone; they are much less numerous too than they once were, and have to be sought farther and farther north.