Balder sentence example
- Balder >>
- Some scholars have thought that Balder, the son of Odin, was once known in Germany, but the evidence is at least doubtful.
- Odin's wife was Frigg; their sons were Thor (the thunder-god) and Balder, whose myth is well known in English poetry.
- In the German mythology the army of darkness is led by Hel, the personification of twilight, sunk to the goddess who enchains the dead and terrifies the living, and Loki, originally the god of fire, but afterwards "looked upon as the father of the evil powers, who strips the goddess of earth of her adornments, who robs Thor of his fertilizing hammer, and causes the death of Balder the beneficent sun."
- BALDER, a Scandinavian god, the son of Odin or Othin.Advertisement
- Kauffmann, Balder: Mythus and Sage (Strassburg, 1902).
- Frigg is his wife, and several of the gods, including Thor and Balder, are his sons.
- According to northern mythology, Forseti, a son of Balder and Nanna, the god of justice, had a temple on the island, which was subsequently destroyed by St Ludger.
- Kauffmann, Balder: Mythus u.
- The most important god is Odin, the son of Bestla and Bor, the husband of Frigg, the father of Balder and many other sons, the head of the Aesir stock of gods.Advertisement
- There is, almost undoubtedly, a touch of the Christian dawn on the figure and myth of the pure and beloved and ill-fated god Balder, and his descent into hell.
- Apparently adept at crashing parties, this "13th guest" is able to convince the God of Darkness to shoot the God known as "Balder the Beautiful".
- The mistletoe figures also in Scandinavian legend as having furnished the material of the arrow with which Balder (the sun-god) was slain by the blind god Hoder.