Babirusa sentence example
- Unlike ordinary wild pigs, the babirusa produces uniformly coloured young.
- BABIRUSA (" pig-deer"), the Malay name of the wild swine of Celebes and Buru, which has been adopted in zoology as the scientific designation of this remarkable animal (the only representative of its genus), in the form of Babirusa alfurus.
- I should be inclined to believe rather that these tusks were once useful, and were then worn Old Male Babirusa (Babirusa alfurus).
- On this latter view we may regard the tusks of the male babirusa as examples of redundant development, analogous to that of the single pair of lower teeth in some of the beaked whales.
- The native flora is rich, and teak, ebony and canari trees are especially abundant; the fauna, which is similarly varied, includes the babirusa, which occurs in this island only of the Moluccas.Advertisement
- Wild oxen of the Sunda race, not to be in any way confounded with the Malayan seladang or gaur, are rare, but the whole country swarms with wild swine, and the babirusa, a pig with curious horn-like tusks, is not uncommon.
- Babirusa >>
- Mammals are few in species, but remarkable, especially Macacus niger, an ape found nowhere else but in Bachian; Anoa depressicornis, a small ox-like quadruped which inhabits the mountainous districts; and the babirusa or pig-deer of the Malays.
- babirusa meat sales.
- (See Wart-Hog.) The last existing representative of the Suidae is the babirusa of Celebes, alone representing the genus of the same name, and readily distinguished by the extraordinary size and form of the tusks of the old males.Advertisement
- (For the characteristics of this animal see Babirusa.) Extinct Swine.