Babbage sentence example
- While still an undergraduate he formed a league with John Herschel and Charles Babbage, to conduct the famous struggle of "d-ism versus dot-age," which ended in the introduction into Cambridge of the continental notation in the infinitesimal calculus to the exclusion of the fluxional notation of Sir Isaac Newton.
- Its first meeting was held at York in 1831; and Brewster, along with Charles Babbage and Sir John F.
- Babbage compared his table with the Tables du Cadastre, and Lefort has given in his paper just referred to most important lists of errors in Vlacq's and Briggs's logarithms of numbers which were obtained by comparing the manuscript tables with those contained in the Arithmetica logarithmica of 1624 and of 1628.
- For his insight into mechanism and his power over it he was unequalled, except perhaps by Charles Babbage.
- Few, on the contrary, as was pointed out by C. Babbage, are less subject to fluctuation than the duration of life amongst people taken in large aggregates.
- At the same time, it must be admitted that those which have recently taken place amongst most of the communities of western Europe are remarkable for both their rapidity and their extent; and are probably attributable, in part at least, to influences which were almost inoperative at the time when Babbage wrote.
- The matter was investigated by Charles Babbage, Sir J.
- Charles Babbage >>
- CHARLES BABBAGE (1792-1871), English mathematician and mechanician, was born on the 26th of December 1792 at Teignmouth in Devonshire.Advertisement
- Babbage's attention seems to have been very early drawn to the number and importance of the errors introduced into astronomical and other calculations through inaccuracies in the computation of tables.
- From 1828 to 1839 Babbage was Lucasian professor of mathematics at Cambridge.
- Babbage.) The comparative sizes of the horses are shown.
- Babbage often appealed to the traditional romanticized imagery with which the factory tourists all larded their stories.
- The error was discovered, after eighteen years, by the explorations of Mr Babbage and Major Warburton in 1858, while Mr Stuart, about the same time, gained a more complete knowledge of the same district.Advertisement
- Much of what Babbage taught later on the subject of combined work is anticipated by Gioja.
- For logarithms of numbers only perhaps Babbage's table is the most convenient.'
- What if Charles Babbage invented the computer during Victoria's reign (The Difference Engine)?