Averroism sentence example
- The importance of Siger in philosophy lies in his acceptance of Averroism in its entirety, which drew upon him the opposition of Albertus Magnus and Aquinas.
- In December 1270 Averroism was condemned.
- Renan, however, says that he merely tried to justify Averroism against the charge of heterodoxy.
- Nearly three centuries latar, it was still studied at Padua, the last home of Averroism, and Lucilio Vanini speaks of him with great veneration.
- In such a critical generation the words of Averroism found willing ears, and pupils who outran their teacher.Advertisement
- In Duns Scotus, Averroes and Aristotle are the unequalled masters of the science of proof; and he pronounces distinctly the separation between Catholic and philosophical truth, which became the watchword of Averroism.
- By the 14th century Averroism was the common leaven of philosophy; John Baconthorpe is the chief of Averroists, and Walter Burley has similar tendencies.
- Meanwhile Averroism had come to be regarded by the great Dominican school as the arch-enemy of the truth.
- The patricians of Venice and the lecturers of Padua made Averroism synonymous with doubt and criticism in theology, and with sarcasm against the hierarchy.
- It was in the universities of north Italy that Averroism finally settled, and there for three centuries it continued as a stronghold of Scholasticism to resist the efforts of revived antiquity and of advancing science.Advertisement
- The parties seemed to have changed when Averroism thus took the side of the church; but the change was probably due to compulsion.
- It was this comparatively mild Averroism, reduced to the merely explanatory activity of a commentator, which continued to be the official dogma at Padua during the 16th century.
- Zabarella, Francesco Piccolomini (1520-1604) and Cesare Cremonini (15J0-1631) continued the traditions of Averroism, not without changes and additions.