Autocephalous sentence example
- The Bulgarian, Servian, Montenegrin and Greek churches are, however, in reality autocephalous.
- For example, the church of Mount Sinai may be regarded as all that survives of the ancient church of northern Arabia; the autocephalous Slavonic churches of Ipek and Okhrida, which derived their ultimate origin from the missions of Cyril and Methodius, were absorbed in the patriarchate of Constantinople in 1766 and 1767 respectively; and the Church of Georgia has been part of the Russian Church since 1801-1802.
- In this way the j ealousies of race and the necessities of nations have produced various national churches which are independent or autocephalous and yet are one in doctrine.
- Eight years later the seat of ecclesiastical government was fixed at Belgrade; and when Servia gained its independence its church became autocephalous.
- On the union of the two principalities under Alexander Couza (December 1861) the Church was declared autocephalous under a metropolitan at Bucharest; and the fact was recognized by the patriarchs, as it was in the case of Servia, after the treaty of Berlin had guaranteed their independence.Advertisement
- In this way the Russian Church became autocephalous, and its patriarch had immense power.
- In the Balkan States, the system - inherited from Byzantine and Turkish times - of ecclesiastical jurisdictions prevails, except that they are now autocephalous,and independent of the patriarch of Constantinople.
- The Church of Cyprus has been autocephalous since at any rate the oecumenical synod of Ephesus in 431.
- The Cretan Church is not, strictly speaking, autocephalous, being dependent on the patriarchate of Constantinople.
- The Servian Church is an autocephalous branch of the Orthodox Eastern communion.Advertisement