Apse Sentence Examples
Foundations of the apse of a large preNorman church have been discovered below the present building.
The apse is built over a canal.
The cathedral has a fine polygonal apse of the r 6th century.
On his death in 1035 Archbishop Poppo converted the gate into two churches, one above the other, but all the additions except the apse have now been removed.
Archbishop Poppo and his successors in the i 1 th and 12th centuries extended the cathedral westwards and added an apse at each end.Advertisement
The exterior is uninteresting, and the church lost both atrium and apse in the 16th century.
The apse has mosaics of the 6th and 7th centuries.
The relics of the two Marks, who are said to have been buried at Saintes-Maries, are bestowed in the upper storey of the apse of the fortress-church, a remarkable building of the 12th century with crenelated and machicolated walls.
Two festivals are held in the town, a less important one in October, the other, on the 24th and 25th of May, unique for its gathering of gipsies who come in large numbers to do honour to the tomb of their patroness Sara, contained in the crypt below the apse.
At Steetley, near Worksop, is a small Norman chapel, with apse, restored from a ruinous condition; Youlgrave church, a building of much general interest, has Norman nave pillars and a fine font of the same period, and Normanton church has a peculiar Norman corbel table.Advertisement
St Catherine's, of the middle of the 13th century, is Gothic, with a pentagonal apse.
The chief building in Agen is the cathedral of St Caprais, the most interesting portion of which is the apse of the 12th century with its three apse-chapels; the transept dates from the 12th and 13th centuries, the nave from the 14th to the 16th centuries; the tower flanking the south facade is modern.
The fine interior is remarkable for the peculiar structure of its apse, and for the choir-stalls carved in English oak by Miguel Ancheta, a native artist (1530).
Several styles are represented in its architecture which for the most part is the work of the 11th, 12th and 13th centuries; the eastern apse and the tower date from the reign of Louis XV.
The cathedral was built between 973 and loos; the gallery round the back of the apse and the crypt have plain cubical capitals of this period.Advertisement
It consists of a nave in six bays, aisles, transepts, each with two eastern chapels, and an apse, all vaulted with simple quadripartite brick groining.
The Romanesque church of S.Abondio outside the town was founded in 1013 and consecrated in 1095; it has two fine campanili, placed at the ends of the aisles close to the apse.
Theodosius erected another, with western apse, in the main court of the Jupiter temple.
To the north of and below the apse lies the group of buildings known as the BelleChaise.
The Romanesque choir and apse belong to the 11th century, the rest of the interior is contemporary with the facade.Advertisement
It also is divided into a central space with two aisles, each of the divisions ending at the east with an apse.
The half dome of the central apse has a colossal halflength figure of Christ, with a seated Virgin and Child below; the other apses have full-length colossal figures of St Peter and St Paul.
In the central apse at Monreale, behind the high altar, is a fine marble throne for the archbishop. This position of the throne is a survival of the early basilican arrangement, when the apse and altar were at the west end.
In the centre of this court stands the catholicon or conventual church, a square building with an apse of the cruciform domical Byzantine type, approached by a domed narthex.
The church (D) is cruciform, with a nave of nine bays, and a semicircular apse at either extremity.Advertisement
The high altar (A) stands immediately to the east of the transept, or ritual choir; the altar of St Paul (B) in the eastern, and that of St Peter (C) in the western apse.
A cylindrical campanile stands detached from the church on either side of the western apse (FF).
The choir terminated in a semicircular apse (F), surrounded by five chapels, also semicircular.
Nine radiating chapels, similarly divided, surround the apse.
It will be noticed that the choir of the church is short, and has a square end instead of the usual apse.
Each of these is a basilica with ancient columns and mosaics in the apse.
The church (12th century), of which only the choir and apse are appropriated to divine service, has a beautiful nave formerly covered by four cupolas destroyed in 1816.
Earlier than the rest of the fabric (except the crypt) is part of the chapter-house and the vestry, adjoining the south side of the choir, and terminating eastward in an apse.
The clergy, now Roman officials, vested in the robes of the civil dignitaries, took their seats in the apse of the basilica where the magistrates were wont to sit, in front of them the holy table, facing the congregation.
This type comprised nave and aisles, ending at one end in an apse and two chambers resembling rudimentary transepts, and at the other end in a porch (narthex).
The latter terminated in a three-sided apse.
The east end was usually square, but the Friars Church at Winchelsea had a polygonal apse.
The ancient parish church of St Mary Magdalen retains Norman work in the chancel, which terminates in an eastern apse.
It possesses six Evangelical churches, notably the Miinsterkirche, a Romanesque building with a Gothic apse of the r 5th century; the Marienkirche, in the Gothic style; and the Johanniskirche, with a steeple 280 ft.
Next to this comes the sanctuary of the Lares of the city, a square room with a large apse; and beyond this, as Mau proves, the small temple of Vespasian.
The seats for the priests are arranged round the semicircular apse, rising in steps with the bishop's throne in the centre - an arrangement unique in Italy.
The chancel, which is without aisles, terminates in an apse.
The church of Hadleigh is Norman, with an eastern apse, and later additions.
The term is also given to the apse or semicircular termination of the choir; as at Canterbury in the part called "Becket's crown."
A point on a central orbit where the radial velocity (drfdt) vanishes is called an apse, and the corresponding radius is called an apse-line.
If the force is always the same at the same distance any apse-line will divide the orbit symmetrically, as is seen by imagining the velocity at the apse to be reversed.
Remains of a Roman amphitheatre and the chapel of St Quenin (dedicated to a bishop of the 6th century), with a curious apse of the end of the IIth century, are also to be seen in the old town.
The new cathedral is in the Early French (pointed) style, with an eastern apse and a striking west front.
The cathedral of St Martin was begun in 1063 by Bishop Anselm (later Pope Alexander II.); but the great apse with its tall columnar arcades and the fine campanile are probably the only remnants of the early edifice, the nave and transepts having been rebuilt in the Gothic style in the 14th century, while the west front was begun in 1204 by Guidetto (lately identified with Guido Bigarelli of Como), and "consists of a vast portico of three magnificent arches, and above them three ranges of open galleries covered with all the devices of an exuberant fancy."
St Frediano or Frigidian dates originally from the 7th century, but was built in the Romanesque style in 1112-1147, though the interior, originally with four aisles and nave, shows traces of the earliest structure; the front occupies the site of the ancient apse; in one of its chapels is the tomb of Santa Zita, patroness of servants and of Lucca itself.
Its cathedral of St Pierre, in some respects the most daring achievement of Gothic architecture, consists only of a transept and choir with apse and seven apse-chapels.
The choir (the East church) was added in 1494 by James IV., and the apse a few years later by James Beaton, archbishop of St Andrews, or his nephew, Cardinal David Beaton.
The Eski Juma, or Old Mosque, is another interesting basilica, evidently later than Constantine, with side aisles and an apse without side chapels.
It was the only parish church by Wren to have an apse, which was joined to the main body by a quadrant bay.
To the east a further three bays to nave and aisles, and a two bayed chancel with three sided E apse.
Tower forms a narrow west apse and serves as a baptistry.
To the east the church is rounded off with a semicircular apse.
His son designed the eastern apse shown in the photograph.
The temples were usually quite small, rectangular in shape and often had a small apse at one end.
The church has a three-sided apse, a rare form in this county, part of the John Taylor design.
The church is a large building comprising a five bay nave with aisles, a tall polygonal apse, and an exceptionally tall clerestory.
The two campanili flanking the apse at each end of the side aisle are the oldest example of this architectural arrangement.
Of the interior decorations it is enough to mention the altars of the nave, said to be after designs by Michelangelo, and the mosaics in the dome and the apse, which were among the latest designs of Cimabue.
The clergy, now Roman officials, vested in the robes of the civil dignitaries (see Vestments), took their seats in the apse of the basilica where the magistrates were wont to sit, in front of them the holy table, facing the congregation.
Two magnificent marble ambones, the larger dating from 1175, a large 11th-century altar frontal in the south aisle, having scenes from the Bible carved on thirty ivory tablets, with 13th-century mosaics in the apse, given by Giovanni da Procida, the promotor of the Sicilian Vespers, and the tomb of Pope Gregory VII., and that of Queen Margaret of Durazzo, mother of King Ladislaus, erected in 1412, deserve to be mentioned.
There is a remarkably perfect Romanesque church, with aisles, eastern apse and ambulatory, at Varnhem in Skaraborg Lan, and there are a few village churches of the same period in this district and in Skane.