Appenzell sentence example
- He thus visited in succession Colmar, Nuremberg, Appenzell, Zurich, Pfaffers, Augsburg, Villach, Meran, Middelheim and other places, seldom staying a twelvemonth in any of them.
- It is mainly watered by two streams that descend from the Santis, the Urnasch joining the Sitter (on which is the capital, Appenzell), which later flows into the Thur.
- There are light railways from Appenzell to St Gall either (122 m.) past Gais or (202 m.) past Herisau, as well as lines from St Gall to Trogen (6 m.) and from Rorschach to Heiden (4 4 m.).
- The south or more mountainous portion of Appenzell forms the half-canton of Appenzell, Inner Rhoden.
- Its political capital is Appenzell, which is also the largest village, while Weissbad (near it) and Gonten are the best-known goats' whey cure resorts.Advertisement
- By the middle of the 11th century the abbots of St Gall had established their power in the land later called Appenzell, which, too, became thoroughly teutonized, its early inhabitants having probably been romanized Raetians.
- In 1411 Appenzell was placed under the "protection" of the Swiss Confederation, of which, in 1452, it became an "allied member," and in 1513 a full member.
- From 1798 to 1803 Appenzell, with the other domains of the abbot of St Gall, was formed into the canton Santis of the Helvetic Republic, but in 1803, on the creation of the new canton of St Gall, shrank back within its former boundaries.
- He escaped, thanks probably to the complicity of Danton, returned to France after the 9th of Thermidor of the year II., left it in exile again after the republican coup d'etat of the 18th of Fructidor of the year V., and died at Appenzell in Switzerland in 1798.