Apostolic-succession sentence example
- It is very striking that in his appeal to tradition Vincent assigns no part to the bishops as such - apart from the council; he appeals to the ancient "teachers," not to any apostolic succession.
- To him the divine authority of the Catholic Church was an axiom, and in 1889 he published two works, the larger of which, The Church and the Ministry, is a learned vindication of the principle of Apostolic Succession in the episcopate against the Presbyterians and other Protestant bodies, while the second, Roman Catholic Claims, is a defence, couched in a more popular form, of the Anglican Church and Anglican orders against the attacks of the Romanists.
- Of the notion of apostolic succession in ministerial grace conferred by ordination, there is little or no trace before Irenaeus.
- Graham, I have understood apostolic succession to be through Christ and the Holy Spirit and " passed down " to all believers.
- This is the true apostolic succession from Paul to men like ML-J and on to the coming of the Lord.Advertisement
- The consciousness of being in the line of apostolic succession helped the English clergy to revert to the principle Ecclesia est in episcopo, and the great periodical conferences of Anglican bishops from all parts of the world have something of the character, though they do not claim the ecumenical authority, of the general councils of the early Church (see Lambeth Conferences).