Aphthous sentence example
- The cause of recurrent aphthous stomatitis is largely unknown.
- The two most common types seen in children are herpes stomatitis, which is caused by the herpes simplex virus, and aphthous stomatitis, more often referred to as canker sores.
- Aphthous stomatitis begins in childhood or adolescence, with peak onset in those aged ten to 19 years.
- Aphthous ulcers may be more common in females than males.
- The cause of aphthous stomatitis is unknown, although several factors are suspected.Advertisement
- Both herpes and aphthous stomatitis have lesions that are unique in appearance.
- Medical treatment is usually not necessary for aphthous stomatitis, unless the ulcers are severe (larger than one centimeter or lasting longer than two weeks).
- Most children are minimally inconvenienced by aphthous stomatitis, because attacks are usually infrequent and only last a few days.
- Since aphthous stomatitis is not contagious, there is no need to curtail a child's activities unless they have developed signs of complications, such as infection.
- Canker sores (aphthous ulcers) are small shallow sores or ulcers that appear inside the lips, inside the cheeks, or on the gums.Advertisement
- As of 2004 data suggest that aphthous ulcers are a form of autoimmune disease.