Anticonvulsant sentence example
- In controls 14% of patients had a seizure in the first week, compared with 5% of patients taking an anticonvulsant.
- It is a highly effective anticonvulsant, with the particular advantage of a long duration of action.
- It has stronger anticonvulsant properties than most other barbiturates, and may be preferentially concentrated in metabolically active epileptic foci.
- Primarily a pustular rash may also be seen in those taking corticosteroids, lithium, oral contraceptives and anticonvulsant therapies.
- Depakote, Tegretol, Lamictal, Neurontin, and Topamax are the most common anticonvulsant medications for bipolar patients.Advertisement
- Only rarely is anticonvulsant therapy recommended for a child with febrile seizures because of the generally benign nature of the seizures and the risk of side effects from the drugs.
- The mother's exposure to certain prescription drugs such as anticonvulsant and dermatologic medications during pregnancy also can cause congenital cardiovascular defects.
- After surgery, anticonvulsant drugs such as phenytoin may help control or prevent seizures, which can begin as late as two years after the head injury.
- Spina bifida may arise because of chromosome abnormalities, single gene mutations, or specific environmental insults such as maternal diabetes mellitus or prenatal exposure to certain anticonvulsant drugs.
- People who experience seizures, for example, may be given anticonvulsant drugs, and people who develop fluid on the brain (hydrocephalus) may have a shunt inserted to drain the fluid.Advertisement
- Anticonvulsant drugs, including phenytoin, are used to control seizures.
- It has also been reported to be elevated in some other conditions such as leukemia, pregnancy, diabetes, thyroid disease, and sometimes as a side effect of anticonvulsant therapy.
- Most anticonvulsant medications cause some drowsiness and stomach upset.
- Carbamazepine (Tegretol, Atretol) is an anticonvulsant drug usually prescribed in conjunction with other mood stabilizing agents.
- Lamotrigine (Lamictal, or LTG), an anticonvulsant medication, is often used in patients with a history of rapid cycling and antidepressant-induced mania.Advertisement
- Other medications prescribed for AD/HD therapy include buproprion (Wellbutrin), an antidepressant; fluoxetine (Prozac), an SSRI antidepressant; and carbamazepine (Tegretol, Atretol), an anticonvulsant drug.
- Seizure disorders in children are usually treated with anticonvulsant drugs.