There may also be mentioned the lakes of Bourget and Annecy (both in Savoy), St Point (Jura), Paladru (Isre) and Nantua (Am).
CHAMBERY - Annecy, Tarentaise, St Jean-de-Maurienne.
- Annecy HAUTES-PYRfiNfiES.
FRANCIS (FRANCois) OF Sales, St (1567-1622), bishop of Geneva and doctor of the Church (1877), was born at the castle of Sales, near Annecy, Savoy.
He received his education first at La Roche, in the Arve valley, then at the college of Annecy, founded by Eustace Chappius, ambassador in England of Charles V., in 1549.
Later, he was lecturer at Annecy and Casal-Montferrat, and became head of the education department under Mamiani in 1860.
ANNECY, the chief town of the department of Haute Savoie in France.
It is situated at a height of 1470 ft., at the northern end of the lake of Annecy, and is 25 m.
There are factories of linen and cotton goods, and of felt hats, paper mills, and a celebrated bell foundry at Annecy le Vieux.
Annecy itself was in the 10th century the capital of the counts of the Genevois, from whom it passed in 1401 to the counts of Savoy, and became French in 1860 on the annexation of Savoy.
The LAKE OF ANNECY is about 9 m.
He first fell in with some proselytizers of the Roman faith at Confignon in Savoy, and by them he was sent to Madame de Warens at Annecy, a young and pretty widow who was herself a convert.
In one of his incomprehensible freaks he set off for Lyons, and, after abandoning his companion in an epileptic fit, returned to Annecy to find Madame de Warens gone.
The first foe without was the family of the counts of the Genevois (the region south of the city and in the neighbourhood of Annecy), who were also "protectors" (advocati) of the church of Geneva, and are first heard of in the 11th and 12th centuries.
In December 1602 Francois de Sales was consecrated bishop of Geneva (since 1535 the bishops had lived at Annecy), and a few days later the duke of Savoy made a final attempt to get hold of the city by a surprise attack in the night of 11-12th December 1602 (Old Style), known in history as the "Escalade," as ladders were used to scale the city walls.
Mugnier, Les Eveques de Geneve-Annecy, 1 53518 7 0 (Paris, 1888); Pierre de Geneve, St (monograph on the cathedral), 4 parts (Geneva, 1891-1899); A.
CLAUDE LOUIS BERTHOLLET (1748-1822), French chemist, was born at Talloire, near Annecy in Savoy, on the 9th of December 17 4 8.