Andersonville sentence example
- He was indicted for treason by a Virginia grand jury, persistent efforts were made to connect him with the assassination of President Lincoln, he was unjustly charged with having deliberately and wilfully caused the sufferings and deaths of Union prisoners at Andersonville and for two years he was denied trial or bail.
- At Millen better arrangements prevailed, and when, after Sherman began his march to the sea, the prisoners were returned to Andersonville, the conditions there were somewhat improved.
- During the war 49,485 prisoners were received at the Andersonville prison, and of these about 13,000 died.
- The prisoners' burial ground at Andersonville has been made a national cemetery, and contains 13,714 graves of which 921 are marked "unknown."
- While attempting to seize the Confederate prison at Andersonville (July 31, 1864), he was captured at Clinton, Georgia.Advertisement
- C. Buell, and of the court which in 1865 tried and condemned Henry Wirz, commander of the Confederate prison at Andersonville, Ga.
- There are also prisoner of war records for Andersonville and Fort McHenry, battle descriptions and regimental histories.