Ancien-regime sentence example
- These with a host of lesser dignities built up the imperial hierarchy and enabled the court quickly to develop on the lines of the old monarchy, so far as rules of etiquette and self-conscious efforts could reproduce the courtly graces of the ancien regime.
- In the administration of the ancien regime the term "prefect" was not employed; practically the only case in which it occurs was in the organization of the establishment of institutions opened by the religious orders, in which there was generally a "prefect of the studies" (prefet des etudes).
- In these districts there were cadastres, or compoixterriers (land registers), which allowed of a non-arbitrary assessment; and at the end of the ancien regime merely needed revision.
- These Napoleonic countships, increased under subsequent reigns, have produced a plentiful crop of titles of little social significance, and have tended to lower the status of the counts deriving from the ancien regime.
- The insurrection of July really ended the ancien regime.Advertisement
- The leader of modern historians, he was in truth a man of the ancien regime.
- He became secretary to the Assembly, and the violence of his attacks on the ancien regime won him the nickname of "Crieur de la Marne."
- This new and obedient legislature, to which only nineteen liberals were returned, made itself into a septennial parliament, thus providing time, it was thought, to restore some part of the ancien regime.
- At the end of the ancien regime it formed part of the "Gouvernement" of Guienne, and at the Revolution it was incorporated in the department of Lotet-Garonne, of which it constitutes nearly the whole.
- His life throws light on some phases of the ancien regime which are often overlooked by historians.Advertisement
- After several half-hearted attempts directed in the course of Nicholas I.'s reign to face the question while safeguarding at the same time the rights and privileges of the old aristocracy, the moral collapse of the ancien regime during the Crimean war brought about the Emancipation Act of the 19th of February 1861, by which some 15 millions of serfs were freed from bondage.
- As a free-thinking republican, his prejudices often biassed his judgment on the political and religious history of the ancien regime.
- Even the liberties, among the few representative institutions which the ancien regime had left intact in some provinces, turned against the people.
- Under the ancien regime it formed, together with Maine, a gouvernement of which Mortagne was the capital.
- Perhaps some of the French dandies of the ancien regime could be said to express a certain nihilism in the way they lived.Advertisement
- Alexander was driven into transports of rage by this championship of the ancien regime by one who had been a servant of its bitterest foe.