Amundsen sentence example
- Roald Amundsen sailed from Norway in the "Fram " (which had been fitted with internal combustion engines) in Aug.
- The announcement of Peary's attainment of the North Pole in 1909 convinced Amundsen that he could not raise sufficient funds for his proposed five years' absence, and he determined to make a dash for the South Pole in order to raise money for the greater project.
- Amundsen started on his first depot-laying journey on Feb.
- After remaining two days at the Pole to secure sufficient observations to fix the position, Amundsen and his party returned to Framheim in 38 days, picking up the depots in succession and making an average of 23 m.
- His diary shows that in the outward journey Scott's mind was full of care and anxiety, while the disappointment of finding by Amundsen's record that he was not first to reach the Pole was a shock from which his spirits seemed never to recover.Advertisement
- The results of the Australian and German expeditions, which were for a great part of the time synchronous with those of Scott and Amundsen, required to be taken into consideration before a general theory of the atmospheric circulation within the Antarctic circle could be established.
- The long-deferred expedition of Roald Amundsen to the polar basin left Norway in June 1918 in the " Maud," built on an improved model of the " Fram."