Amphictyonic sentence example
- Thus their influence at Delphi was restricted to the possession of two votes in the Amphictyonic Council.
- In return for this negligence the Thebans fastened a religious quarrel upon their neighbours, and secured a penal decree against them from the Amphictyonic synod (356).
- An amphictyonic league, meeting in common rites at the temple of Hera on the Lacinian promontory, fostered a feeling of unity among them.
- In 339, as one of the Athenian deputies (pylagorae) in the Amphictyonic Council, he made a speech which brought about the Sacred War.
- The pretext was the contumacy shown by the Locrian town Amphissa to the rulings of the Amphictyonic Council.Advertisement
- The earliest, known to history, is the Amphictyonic Council (q.v.) which grew out of the common worship of the Hellenes.
- The Amphictyonic Council represented Greece as an ecclesiastical synod represented western Christendom.
- The Amphictyonic Council which met at Delphi was only the most famous of several bodies of the same kind."
- Thus the old Amphictyonic oath forbade certain extreme measures of hostility against any city sharing in the common Amphictyonic worship, and it was forbidden to raze any Amphictyonic city or to cut off its water.
- This bouleuterium would have been available on all occasions when Olympia became the scene of conference or debate between the representatives of different states - whether the subject was properly political, as concerning the amphictyonic treaties, or related more directly to the administration of the sanctuary and festival.Advertisement
- Since 290 it had extended its power over all the uplands of central Greece, where its command over Heracleia (280) provided it with an important defensive position against northern invaders, its control of Delphi and the Amphictyonic council with a useful political instrument.
- The Aetolians also used the Amphictyonic synod for passing solemn enactments.
- Again the Amphictyonic unions had one of the x.
- The second division comprises the speeches spoken against Philip when, by admission to the Amphictyonic Council, he had now won his way within the circle of the Greek states, and when the issue was no longer between Greece and Macedonia, but between the Greek and Macedonian parties in Greece.
- Philip took its place in the Amphictyonic Council, and was thus established as a Greek power in the very centre, at the wa, sacred hearth, of Greece.Advertisement
- How far the council and other institutions of the Delian confederacy were based upon the amphictyonic organization cannot be determined.
- But like the Amphictyonic league in Greece, the Ionic was rather of a sacred than a political character; every city enjoyed absolute autonomy, and, though common interests often united them for a common political object, they never formed a real confederacy like that of the Achaeans or Boeotians.