Alternative school sentence example
- An alternative school is an educational setting designed to accommodate educational, behavioral, and/or medical needs of children and adolescents that cannot be adequately addressed in a traditional school environment.
- Making the decision to place a child in an alternative school can be difficult and involves a number of factors.
- For children with special medical needs, clinical care may need to be coordinated with current physicians and clinical staff at the new alternative school.
- If the IEP does not address the child's problems, parents can request that the school find and pay for an alternative school program.
- Choosing an alternative school is often difficult, particularly for parents of at-risk children and adolescents.Advertisement
- Parents who feel that their local school district is not adequately addressing the educational needs of their child should consider an alternative school.
- An educational consultant can help parents choose an alternative school.
- Educational consultants usually have visited any school they recommend and will consider the student's psychological evaluations and other test results to determine the alternative school that will best meet their needs.
- Parents should investigate alternative school settings that may be able to provide counseling and group therapy integrated with academics.
- If the public school cannot adequately provide FAPE for such students, parents can seek legal representation to obtain funding from the public school for their child to attend an appropriate alternative school.Advertisement
- In 2005, an 11 year-old student at Amber Terrace Intermediate School in the Texas Desoto Independent School District was suspended and sentenced to 30 days of alternative school for folding a sheet of paper into an origami gun.