Alexanders sentence example
- Kopp, Ober das Bildnis Alexanders d.
- Schreiber, Studien fiber das Bildnis Alexanders d.
- Bernoulli, Die erhaltenen Darstellungen Alexanders d.
- Julius II., his bitterest enemy and powerful successor, continued Alexanders policy, but no longer in the interest of his own relatives.
- Politik Alexanders des Grossen in Klio, v.Advertisement
- In England the plant is sometimes popularly termed "alisander"; in North America Thaspium aureum is sometimes called "alexanders."
- During these years he was occupied with classical antiquity; he published a translation of Aeschylus and a paraphrase of Aristophanes, but the work by which he made himself known as a historian was his Geschichte Alexanders des Grossen (Berlin, 1833, and other editions), a book which still remains probably the best work on the subject.
- Bernouilli, Die erhaltenen Darstellungen Alexanders d.
- Our knowledge of the history of Alexanders conquest, of the Ptolemies and of the Roman occupation is almost entirely derived from Greek sources, and in fact almost the same might be said of the history of Egypt as far back as the beginning of the XXVIth Dynasty.
- The Plolemaic Period.On the division of Alexanders dominions in 32!3 B.C., Egypt fell to Ptolemy the son of Lagus, the founder of the Ptolemaic dynasty (see PTOLEMIES).Advertisement
- This conduct forced Alexanders hand, and he gave Becket leave to excommunicate his enemies.
- Despite his victorious advance, the taking of Smolensk, the victory on the Moskwa, and the entry into Moscow, he was vanquished by Russian patriotism and religious fervour, by the country and the climate, and by Alexanders refusal to make terms. After this came the lamentable retreat, while all Europe was concentrating against him.