Alameda sentence example
- The broad Paseo de Marti (Alameda de Versalles, Paseo de Santa Cristina) extends along the edge of the harbour, and is perhaps the handsomest parkway and boulevard in Cuba.
- The principal business streets runs westward from the Plaza Mayor toward the Alameda, and is known as the Calle de los Plateros (Silversmiths' Street) for two squares, Calle de San Francisco for three squares, and Avenida Juarez along the south side of the Alameda to its junction with the Paseo.
- In 1489, after a stubborn defence lasting seven months, it was captured by the Spaniards under Isabella of Castile, whose cannon still adorn the Alameda or public promenade.
- The park (Alameda de la Alhambra), which in spring is overgrown with wild-flowers and grass, was planted by the Moors with roses, oranges and myrtles; its most characteristic feature, however, is the dense wood of English elms brought hither in 1812 by the duke of Wellington.
- From the Parque de Colon the Calle (or Calzada) de la Reina - an ordinary business street, once a promenade and known as the Alameda de Isabel I I.Advertisement
- Oakland, Berkeley, the home of the State University (damaged by the earthquake), and Alameda, all eastward just across the bay; Burlingame, San Mateo, Menlo Park and Palo Alto, wealthy and fashionable towns southward on the peninsula; Sausalito and San Rafael, summer residence towns on the northern peninsula across the Golden Gate; all lie well within an hour of San Francisco, and are practically suburbs of the metropolis.
- Alameda is served by the Southern Pacific railway, and is connected by an electric line with Oakland and Berkeley.
- The Alameda, one of many fine avenues, was laid out on the site of the chief landward wall, and separates the old town from the new - in which the houses are uniformly modern, and built in straight streets or regular series of squares.
- The practice is located in Alameda, California, less than five miles away from Oakland.
- Livermore Valley is one of the oldest wine areas in California and is just over the East Bay hills in Alameda County.Advertisement