Agaves sentence example
- The chief value of the agaves, however, is in their fibres, of which a great variety is produced.
- The most common plants of the Mexican plateau are the agaves, yuccas and cacti, each of which is represented by a number of species.
- There are many other fibre-producing agaves, including some of those from which pulque is derived.
- There are other agaves used both in the production of drinks and fibres, but they are not cultivated.
- The " ixtle " fibres shipped from Tampico and Chiapas are all obtained from the agaves and yuccas found growing wild.Advertisement
- The Lower Sonoran zone is noted for its cactuses, of which there is a great variety, and some of them grow to the height of trees; the mesquite is also very large, and the creosote bush, acacias, yuccas and agaves are common.
- In the arid portions of this and the tropic areas the indigenous plants are creosote, mesquite and alfileria bushes, desert acacias, paloverdes, alkali-heath, salt grass, agaves, yuccas (especially the Spanish-bayonet and Joshua tree) and cactuses.
- In the Lower Sonoran belt, soapweed, acacias (Palo Verde or Parkinsonia torreyana), agaves, yuccas and dasylirions, the creosote bush and mesquite tree, candle wood, and about seventy-five species of cactuses - among them omnipresent opuntiae and great columnar " Chayas " - make up a striking vegetation, which in its colours of dull grey and olive harmonizes well with the rigidity and forbidding barrenness of the plains.
- Mexican plants allied to the Agaves, but hardier and more easily grown.
- Some fine aloes or agaves are also found.Advertisement