Agadir sentence example
- But the Agadir crisis of July 1911 seems to have opened his eyes as it did those of Mr. Lloyd.
- Towards the Dahra district at the north-east end the fall is gradual and continuous, but at the opposite extremity facing the Atlantic between Agadir and Mogador it is precipitous.
- In the immediate neighbourhood of the modern Tlemcen are numerous remains of the fortifications of Agadir (vide infra), and the minaret of the mosque, a beautiful tower dating Sidi from the 13th century, the lower part of which is built Medin.
- The site was purchased from the Zenata Berbers, in the 8th century, by Idris-bin-Abdallah, who began the building of a new city named Agadir (Berber, the fortress).
- Idris, founder of the Idrisite dynasty of Fez, left his brother Suleiman in possession of Agadir, and the city was ruled by the Beni-Suleiman until 931, when it fell into the hands of the Fatimites.Advertisement
- In 1080 the Almoravide sovereign Yusef ibn Tashfin, after besieging and sacking Agadir, built a new town on the site of his camp. The new town, called Tagrart, became the commercial quarter, whilst Agadir remained the royal residence.
- The Almoravides reigned sixty-five years, when, after holding Agadir four years against the enemy, they were overcome by the Almohades, who massacred the inhabitants, rebuilt, enlarged and repeopled the ruined town, and built a wall (1161) surrounding the double town.
- He was soon in the thick of the negotiations with France (1911) which arose over the Agadir incident, and which, owing to the state of KiderlenWachter's health, were partly conducted between him and the French ambassador, Jules Cambon, at the Bavarian spa of Kissingen.
- The port of Agadir or Gaddir, now Cadiz, was founded as early as 1100 B.C. Later Carthaginian invaders came from their advanced settlements in the Balearic Islands, about 516 B.C. Greek merchants also visited the coasts.
- Ports might be opened at Agadir Ighir (once occupied by the Portuguese for thirty years as Santa Cruz), Massa, Ifni, Arksis and Assaka at the mouth of the Wad Nun.Advertisement