Afrikander sentence example
- In his endeavours to realize this aim he had to contend with the new spirit of national consciousness animating the Boers, which found expression in the formation of the Afrikander Bond.
- The Afrikander cattle, powerful draught animals, large horned, bony and giving little milk, are being crossed with other stock.
- The renewal of the policy of British expansion had been answered by the formation of the Afrikander Bond, which represented the racial aspirations of the Dutch-speaking people, and had active branches in the Free State.
- These three men were principally responsible for the formation of the Afrikander Bond (see Cape Colony: History).
- Both unions had constitutions almost identical with that of the Afrikander Bond, and their aims were similar - to secure the triumph of Boer ideals in state and society.Advertisement
- While the ideal of the Unie was an Afrikander state, the Constitutionalists desired the perfect equality of both white races.
- At the instance of the new Cape government, formed in May and under control of the Afrikander Bond, Mackenzie, who was accused of being too " pro-Bechuana " and who had been refused the help of any armed force, was recalled on the 30th of July by the high commissioner, Sir Hercules Robinson.
- In the latter part of 1881 a Dutch pastor at the Paarl, a town in western Cape Colony named Du Toit, in a paper called De Patriot, suggested the organization of an Afrikander Bond; in the same year Carl Borckenhagen, a German resident in the Free State, advocated such a bond in his paper, the Bloemfontein Express.
- (For the Afrikander Bond see further Cape Colony: History, and Hofmeyr.) Not long after the Warren expedition the valuable gold fields which Sir Garnet Wolseley had foreseen would be discovered in the Transvaal were actually found.
- Meanwhile, and partly through distrust of the Kruger policy, there was growing up in Cape Colony a party of South African Imperialists, or, as they have been called, Afrikander Imperialists, who came to a large extent under the influence of Cecil Rhodes.Advertisement
- Suspicions had been raised that the attempt would be made to force union on a Dutch Afrikander basis, which might have resulted had the basis of representation adopted been the total European population.
- The Dutch Afrikander candidates stood as " Nationalists," while their opponents took the name of Unionists.
- The Boer War of 1881, with its disastrous termination, naturally reacted throughout South Africa; and as one of the most important results, in the year 1882 the first Afrikander Bond congress was held at Graaff Reinet.
- " The Afrikander Bond has for its object the establishment of a South African nationality by spreading a true love for what is really our fatherland.
- Let them remove that, and in less than a year the confederation would be established under the Free Afrikander flag."Advertisement
- " It is the duty of each true Afrikander not to spend anything with the English that he can avoid."