Affronts sentence example
- Though chosen to accompany the king to Asia as one of his thirty advisers (ouµ(30vX01), he was kept inactive and his influence was broken by studied affronts, and finally he was sent at his own request as envoy to the Hellespont.
- But no state could long tolerate the affronts which English seamen offered Spain.
- In addition to these affronts upon the state religion, he insulted the intelligence of the community by horseplay of the wildest description and by childish practical joking.
- The affronts which his poverty emboldened stupid and low-minded men to offer to him would have broken a mean spirit into sycophancy, but made him rude even to ferocity.
- He affronts every canon of taste, more by a radical absence, it would seem, of the sense of proportion than by any desire to shock.Advertisement
- it had to compensate for many affronts to public and private morals, the financial necessity of augmenting the free donations of the clergy, and the political necessity of relying upon that body in his conflicts with the pope, led the king between 1661 and 1685 to embark upon a double campaign of arbitrary proceedings with the object of nullifying the edict, conversions being procured either by force or by bribery.
- At a time of such love, such rapture, and such self-sacrifice, what do any of our quarrels and affronts matter?