Aethelstan sentence example
- It is only used once in the laws before the time of Aethelstan (c. 895-940), but more frequently in the charters.
- In the gardens is also the ambulatory of St Leonard's hospital, founded by King Aethelstan and rebuilt by Stephen.
- Aethelstan >>
- AETHELSTAN (c. 894-940), Saxon king, was the son (probably illegitimate) of Edward the elder.
- The shire organization of Kent dates from the time of Aethelstan, the name as well as the boundary being that of the ancient kingdom, though at first probably with the addition of the suffix " shire," the form " Kentshire " occurring in a record of the folkmoot at this date.Advertisement
- He was fostered by King Aethelstan of England, who brought him up in the Christian religion, and on the news of his father's death in 933 provided him with ships and men for an expedition against his half-brother Erik, who had been proclaimed king.
- As Rollo was to do in 912, the Danish leader Guthorm received baptism, taking the name of Aethelstan, and settled in his assigned territory, East Anglia, according to the terms of the peace of Wedmore.
- On the accession of AEthelwulf, AEthelstan, his son or brother, was made sub-king of Kent, Surrey, Sussex and Essex.
- In 851 Ceorl, with the men of Devon, defeated the Danes at Wigganburg, and AEthelstan of Kent was victorious at Sandwich, in spite of which they wintered in England that year for the first time.
- The thegn was inferior to the aethel, the member of a kingly family, but he was superior to the ceorl, and, says C:_adwick,"from the time of Aethelstan the distinction between thegn and ceorl was the broad line of demarcation between the classes of society."Advertisement