Aestivation sentence example
- This aestivation is imbricate.
- Those forms of aestivation are such as occur in cyclic flowers, and they are included under circular aestivation.
- The circular aestivation is generally associated with a regular calyx and corolla, while the spiral aestivations are connected with irregular as well as with regular forms.
- The manner in which the parts are arranged in the flower-bud with respect to each other before opening is the aestivation or praefloration.
- - Diagram to illustrate reduplicative or reduplicate aestivation, in which the parts of the whorl are slightly turned outwards at the edges.Advertisement
- - Diagram to illustrate contorted or twisted aestivation, in which the parts of the whorl are overlapped by each other in turn, and are twisted on their axis.
- - Diagram to illustrate the quincuncial aestivation, in which the parts of the flower are arranged in a spiral cycle, so that I and 2 are wholly external, 4 and 5 are internal, and 3 is partly external and partly overlapped by 1.
- - Diagram to illustrate imbricated aestivation, in which the parts are arranged in a spiral cycle, following the order indicated by the figures I, 2, 3, 4, 5.
- - Diagram of a papilionaceous flower, showing vexillary aestivation.
- The parts of the several verticils often differ in their mode of aestivation.Advertisement
- - Diagram to illustrate valvular or valvate aestivation, in which the parts are placed in a circle, without overlapping or folding.
- - Diagram to illustrate induplicative or induplicate aestivation, in which the parts of the verticil are slightly turned inwards at the edges.
- This variety of imbricate aestivation has been termed cochlear.