Aegidius sentence example
- Other noteworthy churches are those of St Jacob, founded about 1200 and restored in 1824; and of St Aegidius.
- Fiocchi, canon and papal secretary, and was subsequently published as by him (under the latinized form of his name, Floccus), edited by Aegidius Witsius (1561).
- According to the legend, he was an Athenian (Ailacos, Aegidius) of royal descent.
- For maps of Switzerland we are indebted to Konrad Tiirst (1495-1497), Johann Stumpf (1548) and Aegidius Tschudi (1538).
- Among the Thomists Thomists may be named John of Paris, Aegidius of Lessines and Scotists.Advertisement
- More important was Aegidius of Colonna (1247-1316), general of the Augustinian order, surnamed Doctor Fundatissimus or Fundamentarius.
- An equally popular writer was Gilles de Corbeil (Aegidius Corboliensis), at one time a teacher at Salerno, afterwards court physician to Philip Augustus of France, who composed several poems in Latin hexameters on medical subjects.
- 487), the last of the independent Roman administrators of Gaul, was the son of Aegidius, who had seized Gaul while Ricimer was master of Italy.
- Among the numerous churches of the city the most important is the cathedral of St Aegidius, a Gothic building erected by the emperor Frederick III.
- The successor whom Ricimer placed upon the throne was Libius Severus, who proved to be more docile than Majorianus, but had to face the rivalry of Leo in the East and Aegidius in Gaul.Advertisement
- from an imaginary old Saxon word beggen, " to beg" or "pray," an explanation adopted even by Mosheim, or from begue, " stammering," a French word of unknown origin, which only brings us back to Lambert again, whose name of Le Begue, as the chronicler Aegidius, a monk of Orval (Aureae Vallis), tells us, simply means "the stammerer," quia balbus erat (Gesta pontificum Leodiensium, c. A.D.
- It was against the advice of his tutor, Aegidius Colonna, that on coming to the throne he chose as his counsellors men of the legal class, and the names of his great ministers - Guillaume de Nogaret, Enguerrand de Marigny, Pierre Flotte (d.
- The cathedral, or Domkirche, founded in 1173, contains some curious sarcophagi and a magnificent altarpiece in one of the chapels, while the churches of St James (Jakobikirche), of St Peter (Petrikirche) and of St Aegidius (Aegidienkirche) are also remarkable.
- 1636) and Aegidius Girs (d.
- The 13th-century Church of St Aegidius was injured in the siege of 1625-26 but was subsequently restored.Advertisement
- But as early as Aegidius Romanus (1247-1316), Averroes had been stamped as the patron of indifference to theological dogmas, and credited with the emancipation which was equally due to wider experience and the lessons of the Crusades.
- One of its three Evangelical churches is the handsome Gothic church of St Aegidius, with twin spires.