Adze sentence example
- Building Tools.The adze described above was used for dressing blocks of limestone.
- In north-west America and in the Caribbean area the adze was highly developed.
- That and the crampons are the key tools The sinister instrument was serrated on one end of its curved claw, with an adze blade on the other side of the crescent.
- The adze (41) was used not only for woodwork but also for dressing limestone.
- Two men working on a tree trunk, one making a cut with the adze lengthwise and the other chopping off the piece across, will soon hollow out a large canoe.Advertisement
- Their canoes are simply hollowed out of trunks with the adze and in no other way, and it is the smaller ones which are outrigged; they do not last long and are not good sea-boats, and the story of raids on Car Nicobar, out of sight across a stormy and sea-rippled channel, must be discredited.
- A two-edged weapon, of which the blade is of sharks' teeth, and a defensive armour of braided sennit, are also peculiar to the islands; a large adze, made of the shell of the Tridacna gigas (the largest bivalve known), was formerly used in the Carolines, probably by the old builder race.
- Limestone in the Great Pyramid, as elsewhere, was dressed by chopping it with an adze, a tool used from prehistoric to Roman times for all soft stones and wood.