Adytum sentence example
- The most famous adytum in Greece was in the temple of Apollo at Delphi.
- This opisthodomus was completely fenced in with bronze gratings; and the excavators believe it to have been adapted for use as an adytum (shrine).
- In the centre of the eastern side of the quadrangle two gigantic doors were thrown open to admit the people into the adytum or inner mosque (shrine) where is the marble tomb of Imam Reza, surrounded by a silver railing with knobs of gold.
- In all the large temples the cella is divided into two parts, the smaller and inner of which (the adytum) was intended for the cult image.
- ADYTUM, the Latinized form of aduton (not to be entered), the innermost sanctuary in ancient temples, access to which was forbidden to all but the officiating priests.Advertisement