Advance-guard sentence example
- The timing was propitious, as black clouds had begun to roll up the valley and gather above them, the advance guard of a summer shower.
- The capitan pasha left his anchorage in the Gulf of Patras with his fleet in a single line, without reserve or advance-guard.
- On the 7th of March Napoleon fell upon the advance guard of this force at Craonne and drove it back upon Laon, where a battle took place on the 9th.
- The Homeric Dorians of Crete were also interpreted by Andron and others (3rd century) as an advance-guard of this sea-borne migration, and as having separated from the other Dorians while still in Histiaeotis.
- Before dawn on the 10th the advance guard of Turenne's army was ascending the Glotter Tal.Advertisement
- The advance guard had now outrun its communications and was actually short of food, while a considerable force was distributed at intervals along the line Ismailia-Kassassin.
- He defeated the Ottoman advance-guard at Horns on the 9th of July and at Hamah on the 11th, entered Aleppo on the 17th, and on the 29th inflicted a crushing defeat on the main Turkish army under Hussein Pasha at the pass of Beilan.
- All Syria was lost to the sultan, and the Egyptian advance-guard passed the mountain defiles into Adana in Asia Minor.
- 28, the day on which his advance guard entered the town, less than 20 hours after Cadorna and his staff left for Treviso.
- In the winter of 1757 his health broke down, but in the next year he had the pleasure of commanding the advance guard of the expedition under General John Forbes which occupied Fort Duquesne and renamed it Fort Pitt.Advertisement
- On the nth of September the advance-guard of their army crossed the Drave under the command of Jellachich.
- Castile ceased to be an isolated kingdom, and became an advance guard of Europe in not the least vital part of the crusades.
- Nashville was founded in 1780 as "the advance guard of western civilization" by a company of two hundred or more pioneers under the leadership of James Robertson, the nearest settlement being at the time about three hundred miles distant.
- The advance guard were the three tanks carrying Bessonov's 2nd platoon, 1st company.
- The advance-guard of this wave of pastoral Negroids, in fact primitive Bantu, mingled with the Bushmen and produced the Hottentots.Advertisement