Adulterous sentence example
- Husbands of adulterous wives are advised not to remarry during the lifetime of the guilty party.
- It is surprising that the adulterous pair succeeded in maintaining themselves in power for so long, since the ignominy of the situation was evident.
- The pope condemned this marriage as adulterous; and Abbo of Fleury, who visited Rome shortly after Gregory V.'s accession, is said to have procured the restoration of Arnulf at the new pontiff's demand.
- - who had many times been anathematized by his predecessors - and reconciled him solemnly with the Church, on the sole condition that he should swear to renounce his adulterous marriage.
- The difficulty of mythology is to account for the following among other apparently irrational elements in myths: the wild and senseless stories of the beginnings of things, of the origin of men, sun, stars, animals, death, and the world in general; the infamous and absurd adventures of the gods; why divine beings are regarded as incestuous, adulterous, murderous, thievish, cruel, cannibals, and addicted to wearing the shapes of animals, and subject to death in some stories; the myths of metamorphosis into plants, beasts and stars; the repulsive stories of the state of the dead; the descents of the gods into the place of the dead, and their return thence.Advertisement
- A few half-hearted campaigns against recalcitrant vassals and a long and obstinate quarrel with the papacy over his adulterous union with Bertrade de Montfort, countess of Anjou, represented the total activity of Philips reign; he was greedy and venal, by no means disdaining the petty profits of brigandage, and he never left his own domains.
- This is a people who are being both literally and spiritually adulterous.
- Would they have done so if she had indeed been the partner in an adulterous liaison with the man they both venerated?
- Under the provisions of the law in effect at that time, an adulterous wife could not be awarded alimony.
- It was not a reaction the Deans expected when Effie read the sordid confirmation her great aunt was a prostitute and carrying on an adulterous affair.Advertisement
- That most favourable to him is that he was expected to lend himself in a more or less complaisant manner to assist and cover Madame d'Epinay's adulterous affection for Grimm.